Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compaq SLT296 Compatible Hard Drive Wanted

Default Compaq SLT296 Compatible Hard Drive Wanted

Greetings all !!

I am looking for an IDE Hard Drive that will work in a Compaq SLT286 Portable. It requires a specific hard drive "Type" such as a Conner IDE Type 2 for an example. If you have one that will work (Has the BIOS "Type" number on the drive) let me know. It would need to be working and compatible. Thank you !!!

The Portable 3 had the same bios I think. I used one that wasn't on the list and chose the closest specs and it worked just fine, albeit not utilizing the whole 200mb or so

I have a Compaq OEM Fujitsu MHA2032AT 3.2GB 4000rpm 2.5" drive - Compaq replacement is 330988-001.

Specs here:
    https://www.hdsentinel.com/storagein...SU%20MHA2032AT

Don't you think the 286 BIOS will choke (among other things) on a 3.2 GB drive?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Don't you think the 286 BIOS will choke (among other things) on a 3.2 GB drive?
    With Ontrack, say? I'm just giving the man options. Whether or not they're suitable would be his call.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    The Portable 3 had the same bios I think. I used one that wasn't on the list and chose the closest specs and it worked just fine, albeit not utilizing the whole 200mb or so
    So, I replaced the original hard drive with a Conner CP3012E (120MB) hard drive but no matter what type I set it to in CMOS, it will not boot with it. Looks like the BIOS shuts it down after checking it's size, cylinders, head, sectors, etc and when it doesn't match, it will shut the drive down.

Any Ideas ?
    Thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    ...it will not boot with it...
    Just to be perfectly clear... Are you saying that it will not boot with it in the system or it will not boot from it?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Just to be perfectly clear... Are you saying that it will not boot with it in the system or it will not boot from it?
    Hey Stone !! What happens is after I run the Compaq setup utility, and exit out (not power down) the hard drive works perfectly. I will load the OS (DOS) and everything is great. Once I power down the unit, the drive will start to spin up after memory check but shuts right down and I get the 1701 error. I believe this is because of a hard drive type miss-match in the BIOS settings. Once it detects that the drive specs do not match the drive type, it powers down the drive. I have tried a bunch of hard drive "Types" in BIOS but I always end up with same result. Computer works fine after I finish the setup (Compaq Utility on Floppy) in BIOS until the unit is power off. I did replace the BIOS battery. It is brand new.

Thanks !!!

Blog Entries

I'd tread carefully with those early Conor drives, especially the ones oriented for portable machines. The gasket seal used to seal the cover to the bottom is made from rubber which can deteriorate over the years and turn into a sticky goopy mess. Leave it like that and it'll eventually make its way into the drive and onto the platters, coating them with rubber and bricking it. Go with a more modern option such as a CF or other newer hard drives (unless you want the mechanical drive sound, which is perfectly reasonable). Is there a USER custom entry in the BIOS for you to enter custom parameters to work with a DDO?

Reminds me of scraping liquefied belts off Tascam capstan pulleys...
    ~Ian~

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    So, I replaced the original hard drive with a Conner CP3012E (120MB) hard drive but no matter what type I set it to in CMOS
    It probably doesn't support LBA translation. Using a newer drive might actually work better, but it's hit or miss. I tried a few IDE drives on my IBM 5170 before I found a drive that was happy to work with an arbitrary AT drive type. I'm using a 2GB drive, but I think I'm using drive type 9, because it was the biggest I could choose.