Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM 8514 display adapter question

Default IBM 8514 display adapter question

I have had this card for awhile now, and some places say it can support 640x480, while others say it doesn’t.

Which is true? I would like to use this card with my 8513 VGA monitor to get 256-colors in Windows 3.1 on my PS/2 Model 80. Is this possible?

Thanks!
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Blog Entries

Well according to what I take to be the MCA bible

https://www.tavi.co.uk/ps2pages/ohland/8514A.html

that card only does 1024x768 and only talks to an 8514 monitor. If your motherboard has vga then the card can pass that through, but then the card isn't doing anything...

Dave
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

The 8513 monitor will support 1024x768 in interlaced mode. The ones I have do at least...

A lot of MCA cards (8514/A & XGAx) only support extended resolutions and work with the on-board display adapter to support the lower standard modes.. So which device is actually generating the output signal will depend on the video mode you are in.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Thanks all. Looks like I’ll have to find another video card, or an 8514 monitor...

mcs_5, really? Never heard of that before. Would love to know more about that! 1024x768 would look incredible on the 8513.

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    mcs_5, really? Never heard of that before. Would love to know more about that! 1024x768 would look incredible on the 8513.
    The sources I have read, state that 640x480 is the maximum. But I discovered the 1024x768 support, when booting a Linux distro, that automatically chose whatever the maximum resolution of the graphics card was (great idea...). That happened to be 768i, and the monitor supports it just fine. The monitor does not support a lot of other resolutions - including the boot logo display of some IBM motherboards...

Whether 1024x768 interlaced looks great is a different matter. I find it quite flickery

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_5 View Post
    The sources I have read, state that 640x480 is the maximum. But I discovered the 1024x768 support, when booting a Linux distro, that automatically chose whatever the maximum resolution of the graphics card was (great idea...). That happened to be 768i, and the monitor supports it just fine. The monitor does not support a lot of other resolutions - including the boot logo display of some IBM motherboards...

Whether 1024x768 interlaced looks great is a different matter. I find it quite flickery
    Interesting. I would have to see 768i for myself on the 8513 to determine if it was usable or not.

I did read somewhere that the 8514 adapter could do 640x480 with 256-colors. Guess that was a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    Interesting. I would have to see 768i for myself on the 8513 to determine if it was usable or not.

I did read somewhere that the 8514 adapter could do 640x480 with 256-colors. Guess that was a lie.
    No, it's quite correct, *provided* it's doing VGA passthru, it only generates 1024x768 itself but will passthru the VGA timing and other signals provided by the VGA source.

The 8514 and 8515 have P31 high-persistence phosphor, which mitigates the NI resolution's flickeriness on other monitors.
    Last edited by WBST; January 27th, 2020 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    No, it's quite correct, *provided* it's doing VGA passthru, it only generates 1024x768 itself but will passthru the VGA timing and other signals provided by the VGA source.
    I mean with 256-colors. To my knowledge, the onboard video of the PS/2 only supports 16-colors, unless I missed something.

IBM did a 256-colour VGA adapter and chip, present in some PS/2 and ThinkPad planars. There was also the SVGA/A for PS/2s. 512KB of VRAM supporting 256-colour 800x600 resolution.