Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM PS/2 P70 8573 POST 161 163 after replacing battery

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    Thanks for the pics! That helps.

I've been procrastinating removing the drive, as it looks like you have to take half the computer apart just to get the floppy cable out.
    No you don't need to take the computer apart before you can remove the drive. I was searching in my phone for a picture with the floppy drive removed while having the computer case intact but I can't find it. I believe there are some on the internet. In a nutshell, it's not as hard as you would imagine and I am sure you can easily do it

Quote Originally Posted by neosunrise View Post
    No you don't need to take the computer apart before you can remove the drive. I was searching in my phone for a picture with the floppy drive removed while having the computer case intact but I can't find it. I believe there are some on the internet. In a nutshell, it's not as hard as you would imagine and I am sure you can easily do it
    I found pictures of how to remove the drive cover. I managed to get that off, and I can unscrew the hinged bracket that lowers the drive, and I can reach the screws to loosen the drive. The problem is the ribbon cable is attached to the back of the drive, and snakes its way through a small hole to the back, where it plugs into the motherboard. The problem is it looks like you have to remove the power supply and/or the motherboard or other components to get the ribbon cable through, and unless you do that, you can't disconnect it from the back of the drive, and you can't remove the drive. At least this is what it looks like. I may take another look again.

I can do it, but it's involved, and will take some time to complete the task. I'm busy with this COVID-19 quarantine thing, daughter at home now (schools closed), new job, and a recent long-distance move. I'm trying to balance my interests with my duties, so I can't spend too much time on something like this right now.

If someone has suggestions of an easy way to get the drive disconnected, I would be grateful. Thanks!
    Last edited by Holmes; March 19th, 2020 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    I found pictures of how to remove the drive cover. I managed to get that off, and I can unscrew the hinged bracket that lowers the drive, and I can reach the screws to loosen the drive. The problem is the ribbon cable is attached to the back of the drive, and snakes its way through a small hole to the back, where it plugs into the motherboard. The problem is it looks like you have to remove the power supply and/or the motherboard or other components to get the ribbon cable through, and unless you do that, you can't disconnect it from the back of the drive, and you can't remove the drive. At least this is what it looks like. I may take another look again.

I can do it, but it's involved, and will take some time to complete the task. I'm busy with this COVID-19 quarantine thing, daughter at home now (schools closed), new job, and a recent long-distance move. I'm trying to balance my interests with my duties, so I can't spend too much time on something like this right now.

If someone has suggestions of an easy way to get the drive disconnected, I would be grateful. Thanks!
    I remember that I managed to detach the cable on the drive end without dismantling the machine. But it was really really tough because of the very limited space at the back of the drive cage. Were you able to get the cage loose?

I remember that I managed to detach the cable on the drive end without dismantling the machine. But it was really really tough because of the very limited space at the back of the drive cage. Were you able to get the cage loose?
    Yes, both the P70 and P75 are a real pain to extract the floppy drive from. It's a case of somehow gripping the cable strongly enough to pull the connector out of the FD socket. Tortuous positioning in order to accomplish it. Beware of the P75's earthed EMC shield and the sometimes exposed circuit board reverse of the floppy drive.

Yes, I did remove the cage (the pivoting structure). It is really tight behind the drive, and I didn't think I could remove the drive from the cable without removing the whole thing (floppy drive, mounting cage, and ribbon cable all together) to do so. Problem is, you can't even get to it without removing the motherboard-side of the floppy ribbon cable.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Yes, both the P70 and P75 are a real pain to extract the floppy drive from. It's a case of somehow gripping the cable strongly enough to pull the connector out of the FD socket. Tortuous positioning in order to accomplish it. Beware of the P75's earthed EMC shield and the sometimes exposed circuit board reverse of the floppy drive.
    Yes, it seems like it would be really hard to unplug the floppy ribbon cable from the floppy. Maybe I could try sticking a small screwdriver in the side to pry the ribbon cable off. I didn't seem to think I could, the last time I was in there. I may take another look soon.

It's usually necessary, when the cable's been in there a long time, to ensure a steady pull without any lateral or vertical offset, sticky little blighters. You might loosen the molecular bonding by judicious levering and pressing the cable end in various directions within the socket. I'm unsure of the conductive properties of lubricants like WD40, so can't advise their use, but something of a similar nature is needed, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    It's usually necessary, when the cable's been in there a long time, to ensure a steady pull without any lateral or vertical offset, sticky little blighters. You might loosen the molecular bonding by judicious levering and pressing the cable end in various directions within the socket. I'm unsure of the conductive properties of lubricants like WD40, so can't advise their use, but something of a similar nature is needed, IMO.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I actually think getting the plug off the floppy should be okay, if I could just get access to it. I need to go back in and look at what I can do given the physical restrictions of the setup.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and insights!

I was finally able to get the ribbon cable off, and I documented how I did it with pictures in a new post: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-With-Pictures

So here's an update.

I cut off the bad capacitors as follows. I find this method much better as you don't have to worry about desoldering them. I cut them off using a wire cutter, making sure I didn't stress the leads.
    P70 medium repair (2).jpg

Then I desoldered them easily using a regular soldering iron:
    P70 medium repair (3).jpg

I checked all the exposed solder pads to make sure they were still connected to their components, and it seemed like they were fine.

I resoldered in some spare capacitors that meet the specifications of the removed ones:
    P70 medium repair (4).jpg

I plug it back in, and ... it works!
    P70 medium repair (5).jpg

I did not replace the other caps on the PCB, because they looked fine. Also, I don't have replacement caps for them, but I guess I should change them as well, since I don't want to go through the madness of removing the floppy again if they go out in the next year or so.