Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM Model 8530-021 help!

Hi guys.
    I don't know how to post this treat. Is a prolongation of the original treat.
    Today I open up the 30 's PSU and first thing to look at with a meter is a big semiconductor that for me looks the one who manage the + output power. Here are the results:
    It got 3 legs, from both extreme legs in both direction is a short, from one extreme to the center , reads as a diode, in one direction high in the opposite low, from the other extreme to the center is a short in both way. For me it is done. It says : IR7B.
    _______________________________________________C30 P048. The most that I found it is manufactured by Nihon. Don't know what is and where to buy. Can somebody help me?

The "MCA Mafia's" info is here, for the Model 30 and Model 30-286:
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/8530/...86_Planar.html

Attachments.
    I would like too know how to upload an attachment to my post.
    I want to update my post about IBM model 8530-021.
    I do not know how to do it.

Update.
    Now I got a partially working model 30 w/o FDD, HDD and O/S.
    I got the following questions:
    1- I read that it runs PCDOS 3.3, will it runs MSDOS 6.2?
    2-I got an ISA cards (PN 1533-21-03-6. Model 21) with IDE connectors for FDD (2 connectors X 34 pin male) and HDD (1 connector X 40 pin male), but the cards on bottom use an ISA edge connector with ISA but longer that the model 30 got. Is around another riser card for IBM model30 bigger than the one that I got ?

Quote Originally Posted by rafanaty View Post
    1- I read that it runs PCDOS 3.3, will it runs MSDOS 6.2?
    Yes.

2-I got an ISA cards (PN 1533-21-03-6. Model 21) with IDE connectors for FDD (2 connectors X 34 pin male) and HDD (1 connector X 40 pin male), but the cards on bottom use an ISA edge connector with ISA but longer that the model 30 got. Is around another riser card for IBM model30 bigger than the one that I got ?
    You cannot use a card like this in your model 30. You may be able to make an adapter, to connect a standard 720k floppy instead of the stock drive. I don't have the details...

To connect a different harddrive, you need a controller with it's own BIOS. An 8-bit SCSI card has been suggested, and that's an option. An XT-IDE card should work also I guess. I should test that myself - I have a model 30 with a dead harddrive

UPDATE.

1- I formatted model 30 with DOS 3.3 and works nice, later I re formatted it with MSDOS 6.2 and still works better.
    2-I learn how to hack the FDD. I am attaching a few pics. I only got success with a crimp tool and brand new connectors. About $ 40.00 USD in Amazon. Maybe you can use recycled stuff, it is up to your skills.
    3- I would like to know:
    a- Information about how to hook a FDD/USB as eBay pics. IBM model 30.
    b- Information about how to hook up a CF card as HDD. IBM model 30.
    I don't need details information, I need where to find how to. Detail information is welcome too.
    sorry I don't know how to post pics with higher resolution .???
    Ralph.

Here go the pics in lower resolution.DSC_1237a.jpg

Rafanaty, the best way for you to post pics with higher resolution is to share a folder via Google Drive or dropbox, or a similar service. There isn't really a good way to post high resolution pictures to vcfed directly, unfortunately. You could always try cropping or scaling your pictures down to fit the required resolution, but that may not work as you could still end up over the maximum file size. So it's really better to just use a different service, organize the pictures to a folder and link it here.
    Looking for: IBM EGA graphics, IBM dot matrix printer, 1986 silver badge model M, EMS ISA memory cards

Hi.
    Update.
    I got at least one model 30-8086 working.
    It's not what I wanted.
    got a hacked FDD and XT=Ide card, is working with MSDOS 6.2.
    Thank you for your help.
    Ralph