Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Best way top mount TWO 1/2 Height floppy drives on an IBM 5150 ?

  1. #1

    Default Best way top mount TWO 1/2 Height floppy drives on an IBM 5150 ?

    Greetings All !!!

    Was wondering if someone can tell me the best way to mount two 1/2 height floppy drives in an IBM 5150 ? I would like to know if they sell a kit somewhere and if you have a link, or a link for something I can print up on a 3D printer possibly ? I don't want a hack job and would like it to look as it was factory done but I know this was not intended.

    Thank you !!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    Greetings All !!!

    Was wondering if someone can tell me the best way to mount two 1/2 height floppy drives in an IBM 5150 ? I would like to know if they sell a kit somewhere and if you have a link, or a link for something I can print up on a 3D printer possibly ? I don't want a hack job and would like it to look as it was factory done but I know this was not intended.

    Thank you !!
    There actually was a factory part for it - just a piece of sheet metal with 4 holes on the side to secure the top drive to the screws for the lower drive. No idea where to get one now

  3. #3

    Default

    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

  4. #4

    Default

    Here:
    https://iec.net/product/dual-drive-m...25-inch-drive/

    They have screws somewhere too.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    Here:
    https://iec.net/product/dual-drive-m...25-inch-drive/

    They have screws somewhere too.
    $2 which is perfectly reasonable... until you add it to the cart and estimate shipping and its FIFTEEN FRIGGIN DOLLARS

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    $2 which is perfectly reasonable... until you add it to the cart and estimate shipping and its FIFTEEN FRIGGIN DOLLARS
    Did you update your address? I just bought like half a dozen things from them, they have St412 style MFM cables too, and I think shipping was like $7.45, which I'm guessing is a flat rate box.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    Did you update your address? I just bought like half a dozen things from them, they have St412 style MFM cables too, and I think shipping was like $7.45, which I'm guessing is a flat rate box.
    huh you're right that dropped it down to 7 something

  8. #8

    Default

    I have defiantly seen some "interesting" mounting arrangements. liberal use of Packing tape and all kinds of strange screws and weirdness.



    the large ring terminal sort of pinched the case of the 5160 and was the only thing holding the drive in place -_-

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkdonut666 View Post
    I have defiantly seen some "interesting" mounting arrangements. liberal use of Packing tape and all kinds of strange screws and weirdness.



    the large ring terminal sort of pinched the case of the 5160 and was the only thing holding the drive in place -_-
    hey at least the ring terminal is made of metal, pot metal but metal nonetheless

    beats the hell out of tape or other nonsense

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    33,690
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Terminals, like that shown, are made of copper usually with tinning or galvanizing. "Pot metal", generally known as "Zamac" is zinc+aluminum+other bits and is usually quite brittle. Useful for casting cheap parts, but little else to recommend it.

    A trip to the local hardware/big box store, a hacksaw and an electric drill is sufficient to "roll your own". A file or sandpaper to ease the edges if you will. Paint is optional.

    I had a more interesting problem with replacing a 3.5" hard drive with a 2.5" SSD. The adapters that I could find all seemed to use side-mounting, where my application required bottom-mount. I solved that one with a hunk of 3/8" acrylic sheet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •