Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Story of an eBay Purchase, AKA "Why we can't have nice things"

Blog Entries

A few years back I bought an IBM b&w monitor to match my 5150. It was packed with mostly air in the box. It was a total loss. Funny the seller wanted it back rather than have me toss it. After I explained that fedex might not be happy with an imploeding crt he had me toss it.

How do these people not know?
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

I have bought 5 CRT's off ebay since early november. All of them apple A2M2010 models. I sent detailed instructions on proper shipping and packing (as well as a note stating I am not trying to tell you what to do but have alot of experience shipping these. yada yada yada). Of course none of them really listened. Out of the 5 only one arrived unharmed. Sure I got refunds back from the rest but its just so awful; even when you tell people how to properly ship a CRT they do as they please and destroy them in the process.

I left positive feedback with the single unit to arrive well packed and unharmed, and positive feedback to the sellers who were quick to apologize and refund me quickly (of course I sent them photos of the aftermath)

I do have some CRT's now with no chassis to put them in. I am experimenting with epoxy resin to reinforce and strengthen the old brittle plastics.20200130_111609.jpg
    Last edited by VERAULT; January 30th, 2020 at 07:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I sent detailed instructions on proper shipping and packing
    What instructions did you send them? (I'm packing one up this weekend and would like to compare notes)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    What instructions did you send them? (I'm packing one up this weekend and would like to compare notes)
    Open the box, throw the CRT in the general direction of said box, if it goes in, then tape it up and ship it. If you miss, just try again till you get it in the box. At least that's how imagine most sellers work out how to ship them.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    In a nutshell, I tell them not to use scrunched up paper or newspaper. To cut extra cardboard to line the sides of the box, double or triple thick. To place flat Styrofoam or dense foam at the bottom of the box. Place the monitor CRT screen facing down, so the center of Gravity will not try and pull the tube free from the aging plastics. Pack more layers of Styrofoam around the monitor using bubble wrap to fill gaps and as added cushion right before sealing the box. To write on the box on all four sides " THIS SIDE UP" With an arrow point opposite the crt screen.

The few who have listened to me, allowed me to receive an undamaged Monitor. By the way this is how I ship out every CRT monitor I have sold. I live in New England and most go to the west coast and a half dozen to Japan and Korea. So far the only one that arrived damaged was during peak DEC holiday time and only went down to Maryland.. That box however had an Image Writer II in it as well (more weight) and even the printer was damaged. I blame UPS as the box showed signs of abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    BAD IDEA in ANY packing situation where it can be abraded.
    It leaves tiny static-clingly shards that stick to everything.
    Oh I am well aware, I keep my trusty 3M toner vac nearby whenever I do a pack.... Makes a mess, but works like a charm. Anyone afraid of the tiny bits can wrap the item in a garbage liner first.
    But I do mention styrofoam OR Dense foam. Most people are only familiar with one though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    In a nutshell, I tell them not to use scrunched up paper or newspaper. To cut extra cardboard to line the sides of the box, double or triple thick. To place flat Styrofoam or dense foam at the bottom of the box. Place the monitor CRT screen facing down, so the center of Gravity will not try and pull the tube free from the aging plastics. Pack more layers of Styrofoam around the monitor using bubble wrap to fill gaps and as added cushion right before sealing the box. To write on the box on all four sides " THIS SIDE UP" With an arrow point opposite the crt screen.
    All of this is exactly what I was planning on doing, and what I've seen from other sources. Nice.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

The last time I sent a large CRT monitor, I packed the thing in extruded polystyrene sheet (as used for insulation) and included a slightly deflated small beach ball between the CRT face and the inside of the (double-walled) box. Old tuba-shipping trick. The point is that if the item cannot move in the box, it cannot self-destruct.

The thing that I wonder about - a lot of these sellers sell a wide variety of items. Would they just toss a heavy antique vase in to an empty box and expect it to arrive in one piece?

My best guess is that those who do that probably obtained their items for little or for free, and it is just junk to them. If something gets destroyed then they are not really out any money, and most of the time their other lighter items get through good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    The thing that I wonder about - a lot of these sellers sell a wide variety of items. Would they just toss a heavy antique vase in to an empty box and expect it to arrive in one piece?

My best guess is that those who do that probably obtained their items for little or for free, and it is just junk to them. If something gets destroyed then they are not really out any money, and most of the time their other lighter items get through good enough.
    They do lose money though. The cost of shipping such a heavy item is non-trivial and when it gets destroyed they have to give the buyer a full refund. They are left to eat the shipping cost. It's just ignorant and short-sighted even if they don't "care" about the item.