Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1.44MB drive just destroyed disk for no apparent reason

Default 1.44MB drive just destroyed disk for no apparent reason

I cleaned the heads on this drive yesterday with a cleaning disk. After that, I did a complete read/write test in checkit on two dfferent floppies, no errors. Examined disk surfaces after testing - pristine.

Today I go to stick a known good Windows 3.11 disk in the drive. Start setup, it fails from read errors. Eject the disk, examine surface - pristine. Reinsert disk, run IMD to attempt to image the disk. It gets to track 70something and starts erroring like crazy. At this point the drive starts making heinous noises. Not seek noises mind you but a rotational grinding noise. Eject disk and it's now heavily scored around track 0.

WTF happened? Was there some terrible object lodged inside the disk plastic that got released at the wrong moment?
    Can a drive with clean heads somehow destroy a cookie through other means? (Spinning too fast from bad motor controller?)

Should I just dispose of this drive? I can't bring myself to stick another disk in there for fear of ruining something else.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Should I just dispose of this drive? I can't bring myself to stick another disk in there for fear of ruining something else.
    Don't be silly... I'm sure you can afford to lose a new, blank disk or two.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I would look at the drive. It is possible that your cleaning disk damaged the head's mounts. I never used cleaning disk.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Don't be silly... I'm sure you can afford to lose a new, blank disk or two.
    Afford? Yeah sure. But I'm already heartbroken that my original legit copy of Windows 3.11 is destroyed. The prospect of destroying more disks in this piece of trash makes me sick. The drive is not acting right. The reason I cleaned the heads on it yesterday was because it out of the blue started giving errors on known good disks that still work perfectly in other drives. Bizarre errors too, like "NoData" in IMD and "No interrupt from FDC". I know the FDC is fine because the 5.25" drive in this system is working flawlessly.

Has anyone heard of a 3.5" FDD being able to kill a cookie from overspeed? Is that even a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    I would look at the drive. It is possible that your cleaning disk damaged the head's mounts. I never used cleaning disk.
    Dwight
    The drive was acting goofy before I cleaned it, see the previous post. The side of the cookie that got torn up was the bottom side, and that head is fixed point mounted anyway.

As an aside: is it even possible to do a cookie swap on a 3.5" disk? I want my copy of windows back, and I have the disk backed up.

The reason I cleaned the heads on it yesterday was because it out of the blue started giving errors on known good disks that still work perfectly in other drives. Bizarre errors too, like "NoData" in IMD and "No interrupt from FDC".
    I always use Norton Disk Test from v4.5 Advanced Edition to test both floppy disks and the drives themselves. It's fast, reliable and simple. I've never damaged a disk or drive any further with it and I always get reliable results. NDD from the same release is also a good tool. It's DT plus file recovery, where possible. I tend to shy away from the more 'exotic', methods when a simple disk utility will usually suffice. Over the years I've run thousands upon thousands of disks and drives through DT and NDD and have never looked back.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I always use Norton Disk Test from v4.5 Advanced Edition to test both floppy disks and the drives themselves. It's fast, reliable and simple. I've never damaged a disk or drive any further with it and I always get reliable results. NDD from the same release is also a good tool. It's DT plus file recovery, where possible. I tend to shy away from the more 'exotic', methods when a simple disk utility will usually suffice. Over the years I've run thousands upon thousands of disks and drives through DT and NDD and have never looked back.
    Thing is that this isn't just some dusty drive out of the pile. It's one I've been using for months with no issue until now

Thing is that this isn't just some dusty drive out of the pile. It's one I've been using for months with no issue until now
    Hehehehehe... Everything works just right... until it doesn't. But you already knew that.

As an aside: is it even possible to do a cookie swap on a 3.5" disk? I want my copy of windows back, and I have the disk backed up.
    Not very difficult; just watch for the tiny spring that closes the shutter.

But why aren't you normally using the backup disks instead of the originals?