Image Map Image Map

Thread: HiTech C for CP/M machine specific manual? Running on two disks question

Default HiTech C for CP/M machine specific manual? Running on two disks question

The main manual which I've been able to download suggests a hard disk or that it can run on two disks and then talks about an installation chapter in a "machine specific manual". Has anyone seen the machine specific manual? Does it exist?

There is around 400K in files, does anyone know which files would go on DISK A and which on DISK B for it to work?

Get yourself one of these: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/UIDE...Z-80_computers

You might have to write some BIOS drivers but it's not that hard...

Maybe a case of the blind leading the blind as I only came across these in the past month but depending how much configuration of the disk parameters you can do in the CP/M BIOS (not the ROM BIOS) you can just about make these Gotek drives do what you want.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...Gotek-USB-disk

See the later section of the thread

Pete

The answers here somewhat depend on what disk drives you have available.

I've got an Amstrad PCW, and I bought the Hisoft C a long time ago, 198?, and I certainly was able to run it fine on my setup. However...

I had a PCW 8256, but I had the extra RAM (and the 38? k ramdisk) and I also had a B: drive which was a 360k 5.25" external drive, so I had more than the normal drive space. I usually operated the C ALL on the B: drive, which was quite big enough. The RAM drive would also have been practical, but with extra copying. Using the 173k A: alone would have been more of a problem, but using M: for any temp files, and maybe swapping between write/edit the prog on one disk, and compile on another, would be practical. Just.

I bought a version of the package aimed specifically at the PCW range, so I never saw any 'machine specific manual', maybe the whole package was such anyway?

This question is somewhat academic now anyway as I have the uIDE device which attached to the PCW and provides 13 @ 8Mb virtual drives, so there's no problem. I also used the Eco-C package which was a more standard C system, although the Hisoft version was still useful for some things.

Geoff
    Vintage Devices: Epson HX-20/TF-20, Amstrad PCW 8256 (with extras), 386 and 486 PCs with 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives, Pentium 75 with Roland LAPC-I midi card

I've got a pair of 390K drives on my Kaypro 2. I was playing around with a GoTek on it last night, but I think I'm probably not going to install it permanently and just stick with the dual floppies. The real issue then is a capacity issue - with 390K to work with, I would have to split the files up in the HiTech C to only have the ones you need to compile.

If you've got a pair of 390k floppies then I don't think you've got a problem. I think you could get everything you need on one disk, to edit and compile/link. If you like to have a number of projects live at the same time, or at least the source code handy for cut/paste, then you might need a little more space. I've got a working Hisoft disk here, 340k useable, and it's got 100k free even with the 'C' system, editor, source for a couple of projects, compiled .COM files, even some 'junk'.

If you need more elbow room, then try what I've just seen for a 2 floppy Fortran system. The compiler executable files were on A:, and all called via an explicit A:hc or whatever. The default/current drive was set to B: and the other files used were on B, incl the .LIB(s).

Try things with the one disk, see how that is.

Of course, if you're trying to do something with a large source file then you'll often need double the size of that available.

Geoff
    Vintage Devices: Epson HX-20/TF-20, Amstrad PCW 8256 (with extras), 386 and 486 PCs with 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives, Pentium 75 with Roland LAPC-I midi card

Aaargh - just realised. OP here was asking about HiTech C. My comments are referring to HiSoft C. I think these may be two quite different products.

The HiSoft product will certainly operate within the two disk parameters, as will the Eco C product that I also have. I don't know about the HiTech product, which I've not seen.

Sorry about any cunfusion caused.

Geoff