Image Map Image Map
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Operating System compatibility on early x86-32 chips

There are multiple reports of Windows XP and newer failing to install on any 486 processor or older. This will include the Cyrix/AMD 5x86 and maybe even the 6x86. Winhistory has a list compiled of the absolute minimum requirements for several Windows operating systems including notes on what didn't work for Windows XP.

Blog Entries

I thought a German chap had done that. Clever folks those Krauts.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Windows2000 View Post
    There are multiple reports of Windows XP and newer failing to install on any 486 processor or older.
    The 486 is missing CMPXCHG8b and CPUID, under no circumstance will it run Windows XP.

The only way to have a 486 system run Windows XP is to use a POD63/83, which is essentially a modified Pentium in a 486 package.

Blog Entries

Does that also apply to WINFLP?

Really great thread. Great to see some Pentium Pro conversations going on. I still have about 8x PPro machines and just got 4x PPro 200s with the 1MB cache and vrms (finally). All of my systems are IBM 6579 dual processor capable systems, so I'll shuffle all the hardware around and make some duals some day. I even have the original boxes, manuals and everything.

I ran 95 on them and also NT, but that's already on the table, so nothing to contribute there.

I just checked the processor type on one of our xp embedded Neoware units and it is a 800Mhz Nehamiah processor, but apparently there were two of those processors, each in a different type of package so there were some differences on core voltage and whatnot. These also could come installed with a linux boot for rdp, ica client, so I'm sure they have some linux support as well.

Our Cyrix 6x86 booted windows 95 and win 3.1, but I don't know the exact processor model since the system will no longer boot due to the varta battery on the supermicro board leaking.

What will be really useful when this table is complete is to have links to the repositories for the software too (for those that are distributeable) as it will make an excellent resource for anyone restoring these older machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri View Post
    Eudimorphodon: yes, i use them to test and benchmark my game engine. g++, xorg, libreoffice, gimp, mplayer, programs for tuner cards, etc similar stuff installed and works fine. 16 gb partition. if someone giving me an ftp server with unlimited space, i am willing to share my image file.
    Upload it to wetransfer.com and PM me the link and I'll see if I can't put it on a server somewhere.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Samir View Post
    Upload it to wetransfer.com and PM me the link and I'll see if I can't put it on a server somewhere.
    Thankyou, however since then it turned out anyone can install Debian 8 at the normal way (net install iso) and can install all of these stuffs with apt-get so there is no need to clone that disk image.

Quote Originally Posted by Samir View Post
    the repositories for the software too
    This is a very good idea, i dont know how i could do that, but i will think on it. Actually i have noticed that the 7ZIP is unstable on the AMD K5. When unpacking files, it randomly causes CRC errors in random files (different files every time), but otherwise the cpu is stable, as it were running the system itself perfectly stable, so the bug was probably in 7ZIP itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Does that also apply to WINFLP?
    Uses the same codebase as Windows XP, still won't work.

Blog Entries

So "legacy", but not too legacy. I understand the WINFLP shares the same codebase as XPe.

You're welcome. Just sounded like a great disk to do it all in one shot.

I used to see some crc errors back in the day on my systems and I remember a tsr at one point was the reason for it on one system. I would also use the original pkzip on those platforms as it was bulletproof.

Did you actually see Windows 95 run on those VIA C series processors? I would have thought it would crash when presented with something that fast. The fastest thing I have seen 95 work on was a PIII 333 (500Mhz Katmai on an LX board), and I know it will just throw an error on my K6-2+ 550. I've also used it on my Pentium 66 with 32MB of ram and it was...passable.