Image Map Image Map
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Operating System compatibility on early x86-32 chips

Quote Originally Posted by cwathen View Post
    Should a reinstall be required the user would use a separate 'recovery' CD provided by the OEM which would reset the machine to an OOB state with all the correct drivers for the hardware and bundled software installed, but as supplied there was no way of clean installing the OS without getting another copy from somewhere else. Compaq in particular was a big fan of this setup.

I suppose it was useful for people who had no idea what they were doing as it would hand hold you from a trashed system back to a working desktop (at the expense of all of your data), and it did help to prevent casual piracy in that the only installable copy of the OS provided was the recovery CD which would only work with the small number of machines designed to take it rather than providing a vanilla copy which would install on anything, but it was a pain in the proverbial if you didn't want Microsoft Works, Quicken, McAfee VirusScan, Word Viewer et al taking up space on your cramped 1.2GB hard drive!)
    Uh, that sounds like something a few manufacturers did later, like compaq, and probably said something like "for use with compaq pc". The companion discs I came across were plain oem discs from Microsoft with full cabs and a setup program and didn't have any other add ons (if you didn't consider IE an add on that is). Now I think there was usually something that checked the system configuration of the supplier, but all you had to do was copy the disc to the hard disk, change a file, and then it operated just like stock installer.

Now I'm sure later compaq was doing things like you were saying, like starting in 97 when bundling software was all the rage. I do remember taking their setup files, wiping the disc, and deleting the cab lines, and reinstalling a clean install for people. Anyway, I tossed all the extra disks I had, so I don't think I have any of these companion disks anymore.

Now that said, it's likely possible to "slipstream" in the k6 patch into Win95 so it works correctly out of box. I might had done that for a few computers I set up back in the day to save some time. Not sure why MS never did it, except that Win98 was right around the corner, and they probably didn't want to spare their QA team on something not really all that important.

2. Default

I can confirm the K6/2 is able to run debian 8.

3. Default

It did just occur to me that I can at least verify that Windows 98 will run on a VIA C7. The nice thing about VIA chipsets is all of them have 9X drivers.

Blog Entries

Done that with WIn98SE on a Neoware CA19, 400MHz Esther CPU, still have the system if you want to verify operation. Used it with an external modem for junk call screening.

Mine was one of the later ones. It was a weird system. 1.5Ghz VIA CPU, with DDR2 RAM and PCIE.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle! View Post
    Mine was one of the later ones. It was a weird system. 1.5Ghz VIA CPU, with DDR2 RAM and PCIE.
    some manufacturer did c7-d based desktop atx motherboards with ddr3 around 2013, imagine the face of buyers

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle! View Post
    I had an ITX VIA C7 board that ran at 1 GHz years back, it refused to run Windows XP because it identified itself as a CX4x86. The Windows boot loader would freeze with the error "unable to boot because CMPxCHG8b and CPUID are missing." I found the board in some thin client running a custom Linux distro, which is all it would really run reliably.

I've recently been playing with one of those AMD 50x15 PICs that AMD was pushing back in the mid 2000s. It has a Geode GX2 @ 400 MHz, but the firmware was locked down on it so it only booted Windows CE with a special boot partition. I was able to hack it and put a prototype BIOS on it so it will boot anything, but it's mostly useless. It runs Windows XP barely and has no real driver support for any OS besides Linux.

Blog Entries

One of my C7 thin clients (CA21, 800Mhz Eden) came with XPe on flash. It loads and runs regular XP just fine, although not quickly.

So, YMMV.

This was probably mentioned but I missed seeing it on browsing the thread:

Doesn't Win7 have a number of updates that require SSE2? I feel Win7 needs an asterisk next to it. I believe anyone running Win7 on a P3 or older needs to be very careful about what updates they apply.