Image Map Image Map
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Operating System compatibility on early x86-32 chips

1. Default

the3dfxdude: thankyou for these interesting informations, i am quite of sure i never have seen or heard of win95a, i am suprised it dont had fat32. i think osr2 was the most popular around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri View Post
    ... i am quite of sure i never have seen or heard of win95a...
    It's the original release. How did you never hear of it?
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by the3dfxdude View Post
    Win95B OSR2:
    A substantial update, made available for OEM in 96, probably made from what was left of the cancelled Win96 release. Comes with FAT32 and IE3 integrated. The CD label will say "Windows 95" or "Windows 95 Companion", since it was an OEM disk intended for reinstalling. Unfortunately that's hard to distinguish without looking more closely.
    I've still got some new copies of this one.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It's the original release. How did you never hear of it?
    But it does not return a version number with an "A," the nomenclature of 95A was invented to matched the actual returned versions of 95B and 95C.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    But it does not return a version number with an "A," ...
    But it's not Rocket Science, either.

Blog Entries

Now wait--there was the original Win95, then there was Win95 with SP1 installed, giving 4.00.950a (Win95A).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Now wait--there was the original Win95, then there was Win95 with SP1 installed, giving 4.00.950a (Win95A).
    Oh you are right. I have no idea what it provided other than IE2. And short-lived for anyone to care. Which is kind of weird to me too. I think the first time I saw IE it came on a single floppy disk for free just like AOL but with a Microsoft label. So it was probably IE2, and it was unlikely any service pack disk. I don't think there is much to distinguish this OSR1 release from original Win95 for the purposes here. On the CPU compatibility topic it's hard to say Win95 is worth the trouble with having to jump through all the old hoops, which like was said, are all solved in Win98 out of the box without really breaking compatibility.

Blog Entries

Fortunately, that detail is not difficult:

What Does the Windows 95 Service Pack 1 Update Do?
    This section briefly describes each of the contents of the Service Pack Update.

OLE32 Update
    The Windows 95 OLE 32 update addresses file-management behavior in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint® for Windows 95.

Microsoft Windows 95 Shell Update
    This update to the Windows 95 Shell32.dll file fixes a problem in which files copied onto themselves can be truncated to a zero-byte file size. This update to Shell32.dll also makes it possible to browse NetWare® Directory Service printers from the Add Printer wizard.

Windows 95 Common Dialog Update for Windows 3.1 Legacy Printer Drivers
    In Windows 95, when 32-bit applications print using Windows 3.1 monolithic drivers or the Windows 3.1 Pscript.drv / Unidrv.dll driver, the applications sometimes fail. This update addresses that problem.

Vserver Update: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    Microsoft is issuing an update for a known problem with File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and a certain UNIX® shareware network client (Samba's SMBCLIENT). The update corrects a problem with share-level security.

NWServer Update: File and Printer Sharing for NetWare Networks
    Microsoft was recently made aware of an issue with File and Printer sharing for NetWare Networks which might affect data security for corporate users.

Vredir Update
    The Vredir Update fixes a problem that affects only Windows 95 users who use UNIX Samba servers.

Windows 95 Password List Update
    The Windows 95 Password List Update protects your password file against potential security violations.

Microsoft Plus! Update (System Agent Update)
    The Microsoft Plus! Update provides an updated version of Sage.dll to fix a minor problem with System Agent: When version 1.0 System Agent is running, programs that perform floating-point calculations might be slightly off in precision.

Printer Port (Lpt.vxd) Update
    The Service Pack 1 will automatically install a version of the parallel port driver (Lpt.vxd) that was also available previously on the Windows 95 CD in the \Drivers\Printer\LPT folder. This driver corrects problems seen on some ECP (Extended Capabilities Port) equipped machines.
    Then there was IE 2.0 and a bunch of new drivers (6 page list of them).

I'm pretty sure I've seen both 4.00.950a and 4.00.950A appear as version strings although I found no functional difference, maybe one if SP1 is installed onto RTM and the other for OSR1?

Quote Originally Posted by the 3dfxdude
    Win95A original release:
    While made a splash at release, and revolutionary for MS, really didn't last all that long. Label will say "Windows 95" for retail, but some say "Windows 95 Companion" that are OEM.
    All of the 'Companion' disks I've seen do not actually have the OS files on them, instead it is all the extra files that came with the CD version (like Hover and the music videos etc) - thus is a 'companion' to the preinstalled copy provided by the OEM. Where a companion disk is used the hard disk usually contains a complete copy of the install files in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS and this is set as the install path so that hardware changes install automatically without being prompted for the OS CD which the user doesn't have. Should a reinstall be required the user would use a separate 'recovery' CD provided by the OEM which would reset the machine to an OOB state with all the correct drivers for the hardware and bundled software installed, but as supplied there was no way of clean installing the OS without getting another copy from somewhere else. Compaq in particular was a big fan of this setup.

I suppose it was useful for people who had no idea what they were doing as it would hand hold you from a trashed system back to a working desktop (at the expense of all of your data), and it did help to prevent casual piracy in that the only installable copy of the OS provided was the recovery CD which would only work with the small number of machines designed to take it rather than providing a vanilla copy which would install on anything, but it was a pain in the proverbial if you didn't want Microsoft Works, Quicken, McAfee VirusScan, Word Viewer et al taking up space on your cramped 1.2GB hard drive!)
    Last edited by cwathen; February 13th, 2020 at 08:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Dunno--I always got my 9x files from MSDN CDs, which only superficially resembled the retail and OEM ones.