Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Operating System compatibility on early x86-32 chips

Blog Entries

I keep a cheap USB DVD drive around for such situations.

If a thing will boot a USB key that's my default these days, since it's a moderate hassle to get out the stuff to make a coaster anymore.

(Getting DOS on the C3, what it's running now, involved sticking an SD card into the slot on the side of my monitor and DD-ing a partition onto it for the IDE-PATA adapter I stuck inside. I suppose that's another viable route for getting a Debian boot disk. Clearly I need to hack a hole in the case so I can reach the adapter's slot when it's buttoned up...)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

Well for me, I have a number of 3" 3-ring binders full of CD and DVD software issues (as well as a file cabinet full of he buggers), so the plastic frisbee still wins for me

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I guess there's no interest in OS/2 either.
    That's an OS I could provide information on. Not much experience with any of the OSes in the table

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Your table shows green for Pentium and Pentium MMX, are you sure about that? (* Edit: Same question Re: K6-2 and a few others.)
    I have tested the Pentium and the Pentium MMX personally, those work fine. I dont know which revision of C3 i have, its a 666 mhz piece on an epia board which i dont know the ecsact model.

The amd k6-2 is only assumption.

So I suppose this list will include anything that runs, even if painfully slow? If you could put slackware on there, then there will be alot versions for pretty much all those CPU, because legacy support usually doesn't get removed. Well the last time I tried slackware on a 486, was maybe not painfully slow, but then not very useful compared to any other more modern system.

One thing might be kind of funny, but thought to mention, is that if you specify win95, you might need to split into two columns and note the 350mhz & faster cpus don't work, at least until patched on win95b. I never tried the k6 patch on win95a, so it may very well be that those procs will not work on win95a. Now again, it might work, but it was pretty unstable on a fast processor. So if you are including, runs but buggy as "compatible", well then I'm not so sure how useful the chart is now. I'd hope for a reasonable limit to call working, and not uselessly hacked around, but something that you can do something productive.

7. Default

the3dfxdude: for now i did a * mark to the k6/2 and win95. maybe later i will add other linux distributions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri View Post
    I have tested the Pentium and the Pentium MMX personally, those work fine. I dont know which revision of C3 i have, its a 666 mhz piece on an epia board which i dont know the ecsact model.
    That's fascinating considering the official documentation for Debian Stretch says it doesn't work.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

9. Default

Maybe the installer does not works on them. I installed the system with Vortex86DX (originally, debian 7 or 8, i dont remember any more), and later i have upgraded it to debian 9 with apt-get dist-upgrade. Then i cloned the disk image to all of my 32 bit machines.

Blog Entries

FWIW, it is the installer that stops you dead in your tracks. So perhaps a patched installer might be just the ticket.