Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone savvy with the TL866A Mini pro willing to shed some light?

any of you TL866 bros ever tried using it to program a PALCE16V8?

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    I see the Lattice GAL16V8 listed for the TL866 with the latest software update, but no PALCE16V8. Software updates did add and correct a lot of programming problems. However, I failed to be able to program Lattice GAL22V10D's correctly, it is listed, with my TL866A and latest software. My chips were eBay specials from China and may not have been really from Lattice. The newer TL866II seems to be better with programing many of these PAL/GAL's, but I don't own one.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Blog Entries

The same can be said for PEEL programmable logic. The most straightforward approach is to find a used programmer that can handle these obsolete logic families.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDon View Post
    I see the Lattice GAL16V8 listed for the TL866 with the latest software update, but no PALCE16V8. Software updates did add and correct a lot of programming problems. However, I failed to be able to program Lattice GAL22V10D's correctly, it is listed, with my TL866A and latest software. My chips were eBay specials from China and may not have been really from Lattice. The newer TL866II seems to be better with programing many of these PAL/GAL's, but I don't own one.
    Yeah, I programmed some GAL20V8B chips yesterday and they imaged and worked fine, however, i did have to erase them a couple times first. They were also AliExpress specials.. Sometimes imaging them fails and you need to erase and try again, so I'd give the ones you had another try. It could be the tl866, it could be the chips... who knows when everything is discounted Chinese goods
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Yeah, I programmed some GAL20V8B chips yesterday and they imaged and worked fine, however, i did have to erase them a couple times first. They were also AliExpress specials.. Sometimes imaging them fails and you need to erase and try again, so I'd give the ones you had another try. It could be the tl866, it could be the chips... who knows when everything is discounted Chinese goods
    I'll give that a try. Can't hurt to try again, but I just purchased a Wellon 290 in the belief that it has no problem programing these GAL's.

I'll give that a try. Can't hurt to try again, but I just purchased a Wellon 290 in the belief that it has no problem programing these GAL's.
    Make sure you're using 6.85 of the software.. they fixed some of the GAL programming in the last version for the CS/A models...

VERSION: V6.85 Support:14337--2018.10.19

ADD: ATF20V8B

FIXED: GAL22V10B M95320W M95128W
    Last edited by ngtwolf; February 2nd, 2020 at 11:31 PM.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

My Tl866A has the latest software for it. I've used it for many EPROM's and it's been a useful device.

My Wellon VP-290 took a bit of work to get it working on my 64 bit Win10 desktop (Wellon software doesn't play nice with 64 bits) and had to manually install the driver from the 64 bit folder and not the folder suggested. Tried to program my twenty Lattice 22V10D's and 1 had with reported dead pins (per Wellon software), 2 tripped out on over current and about 8 failed to verify and remained blank. Nine or ten more or less programmed just fine. The total lot had 3 date codes and several different mold release pin locations on the chip bottom sides. Several had flat tops with no mold impressions. (sanded smooth and relabeled???) So about half were duds. About what I figured. I haven't tried to program a good one on my TL866A yet and might not since there's a chance it might brick it. I do have one GAL16v8Dhere and might give it a try on the 866, but I don't have a file to try in it.

My Tl866A has the latest software for it. I've used it for many EPROM's and it's been a useful device.

My Wellon VP-290 took a bit of work to get it working on my 64 bit Win10 desktop (Wellon software doesn't play nice with 64 bits) and had to manually install the driver from the 64 bit folder and not the folder suggested. Tried to program my twenty Lattice 22V10D's and 1 had with reported dead pins (per Wellon software), 2 tripped out on over current and about 8 failed to verify and remained blank. Nine or ten more or less programmed just fine. The total lot had 3 date codes and several different mold release pin locations on the chip bottom sides. Several had flat tops with no mold impressions. (sanded smooth and relabeled???) So about half were duds. About what I figured. I haven't tried to program a good one on my TL866A yet and might not since there's a chance it might brick it. I do have one GAL16v8Dhere and might give it a try on the 866, but I don't have a file to try in it.
    I'm sure you can test those lattice chips on the TL866 without a problem, but i guess if you have both, theres no point to bother. But it does sound like they were bad chips vs a problem with the Minipro.

I'm not sure the difference between a ATF16V8B or a GAL16V8D, but I've programmed a few of the ATF16V8B's last week successfully. That said, all of my ATF16V8B-15PU's imaged just fine, but I did have a similar problem as you with the ATF16V8B-PC that somehow snuck in the lot... it appeared to image but failed verify because it never actually wrote anything to the chip (still had the old content). So, clearly there are some differences in designations of chips. I'm not an engineer so i'm sure someone reading schematics or knowing more would have the answer what the difference between a PC and a PU chip is, but all I know is it's clearly different.
    -- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    PAL's are program once and I don't believe the TL866 has the ability to blow a PAL's fuses. A GAL should be a reprogramable version of PAL. So you would need a GAL16V8 if you want to use the TL866. The latest software list Lattice GAL16V8 through GAL16V8D in both DIP and SOIC20 packages. Ditto with other brands, most likely. I don't have experience with that GAL and so can't tell you if the TL866 has/doesn't have problems programming it. Buy from a real source and not relabeled Chinese and most likely not a problem.

Blog Entries

A PALCE is the orignal Lattice version of the GAL. Programmable with the same basic configuration, but since programming algorithms are usually licensed only to programmer vendors, it's difficult to say if the algorithm is the same as the GAL16V8. I suspect not.

Much easier just to use a GAL16V8, unless your programmer specifically supports the PALCE device family.