Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone savvy with the TL866A Mini pro willing to shed some light?

I decided to play around with the TL866A and the VP290 and am having a bit of a quandary. I tried to erase and reprogram a few of my Chinese 22V10D's on both devices. Not one would reprogram nor erase. Most would not even read the old programed data on the VP290. A few of these do show with the correct data on the TL866A. So either I smoked the VP290 or these chips are FUBAR in many ways. I've got a few more 22V10's on order from Jameco that other people claim work correctly. Meanwhile I'll dig out a couple of 2716/32's and see if I can program and read them on the VP290. Else, time to pop the VP290 cover and see if there's internal fuses or resistors that need help. Plus I need to make a test jumper adapter that shorts pin 1 to 40, 2 to 39 and so on and run the self test routine to see if that functions correctly.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Blog Entries

What is a 'Chinese 22V10D'? A 22V10 clone made by a Chinese vendor, or a part you sourced thru a Chinese supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by AK6DN View Post
    What is a 'Chinese 22V10D'? A 22V10 clone made by a Chinese vendor, or a part you sourced thru a Chinese supplier?
    Sourced from Chinese suppliers.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

The TL866A is worthless for 22V10's and 2716's. Trust me, I've wasted way too much time trying. They often render 22V10's dead, and when they appear to program the parts won't work properly. They don't support 25v to program 2716's and often won't even read them properly (I suspect they can't supply the current needed).

The TL866A works fine for 2764's and larger in my experience. The list of supported parts is optimistic. I do keep one around for later parts and to save wear on my more expensive programmers.

The "vintage" Needham's programmers are ideal for 20V10's and 2716's as are many of the BK Precision/Dataman/ Elnec units. If you're stuck finding an appropriate programmer let me know, and I really have more than I need...

- Gary

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDon View Post
    I decided to play around with the TL866A and the VP290 and am having a bit of a quandary. I tried to erase and reprogram a few of my Chinese 22V10D's on both devices. Not one would reprogram nor erase.