Image Map Image Map

Thread: Getting 5V from the Model 1 Expansion Interface

1. Default Getting 5V from the Model 1 Expansion Interface

Guys, I am using the HxC SDCard Version from Lotharek for emulated dual disk drive with my Model 1 - I have the "redesigned PCB" version of the Expansion Interface:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=32

This works perfectly fine and emulates drive 0 and drive 1, but I needed to upgrade the HxC firmware to make it work (before upgrading to v1_8_2_40, drive 1 would not work).

Question - what is the best spot on the EI redesigned PCB to pull 5 V from, for the HxC 5V molex cable. Is cathode of CR4 (+5V) and right side of C57 (GND) ok (this is where to measure for 5 V for voltage regulation, see EI Service Manual), or are there better spots on the PCB? Thanks!

I’d suggest running a dedicated 5v line out the back of the EI to a 5v wall wart. I would think the current draw of the HxC would be too much for the EI to handle and remain stable.

3. Default

Thanks Pete. Well, I actually already done it before I could see your response. It seems to be working fine; the display of the HxC is bright and I cannot tell any difference in stability, so everything is fine. I should add that I do not have the RS232 card installed, so there should be enough juice on the 5V line.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaMikel View Post
    Thanks Pete. Well, I actually already done it before I could see your response. It seems to be working fine; the display of the HxC is bright and I cannot tell any difference in stability, so everything is fine. I should add that I do not have the RS232 card installed, so there should be enough juice on the 5V line.
    Cool. Where did you end up connecting for the 5V?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Cool. Where did you end up connecting for the 5V?
    The 5V measuring points discussed above - big capacitor and the diode. Can post a picture later.