Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daystar Turbo 601 in SE/30

I just re-read Bolle's description of his adapter. It includes an ethernet card built into the adapter. So you're getting an SE/30 ethernet card in addition to an adapter for an accelerator.

Here's his price:

Asking price for one adapter: 180€
    EU shipping: 12€
    Worldwide shipping: 20€

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    I just re-read Bolle's description of his adapter. It includes an ethernet card built into the adapter. So you're getting an SE/30 ethernet card in addition to an adapter for an accelerator.

Here's his price:

Asking price for one adapter: 180€
    EU shipping: 12€
    Worldwide shipping: 20€
    Seems a little high, but I think that's exactly what I'm gonna need so I guess I'll be buying it soon!

It's actually a VERY good value. $180 or so will get you just the adapter OR an ethernet card on eBay. So you're essentially getting a two for one deal.

I got a message from an admin, and your account should be approved now. They're having difficulties with the mail server. I also messaged Bolle on your behalf yesterday, as well. So give him a follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    I got a message from an admin, and your account should be approved now. They're having difficulties with the mail server. I also messaged Bolle on your behalf yesterday, as well. So give him a follow up.
    Awesome, thanks for the help.

Does the 601 supercede the 030 completely? The SE/30 is one of the few Macs that can run A/UX, but A/UX is pretty much useless without an ethernet card. I'd be interested to know whether the system just sees the 601 as an outright replacement or if it's done through software in the system?

Obviously it can always be undone, but ethernet cards are rare enough and as you say, $180 is usually an either/or proposition in the first place.

The PDS to Nubus adapter doesn't include a 601 on it.

And I'm pretty sure most CPU upgrades supplant the host CPU entirely, though there are a few that allow you to turn it off via a control panel if you have it installed.

There are SCSI Ethernet adapters floating around, Apple rescue of Denver seems to have a few on hand for a somewhat reasonable cost:

http://www.applerescueofdenver.com/p...ters-external/

Also, A/UX isn't entirely useless without an Ethernet port, you can still communicate with it over serial.

I believe he has a Turbo 601, he was looking for a PDS to NuBUS adapter for his SE/30 so he could use it in there. But, yes, they take over the CPU entirely.