Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daystar Turbo 601 in SE/30

Default Daystar Turbo 601 in SE/30

Just found one of these Daystar PowerPC upgrade cards and I read that some people have adapted them to use in an SE/30 and I was wondering how that works. I'm not a Macintosh guy at all but I thought an uograde like that might be fun

Blog Entries

I mean.....probably?
    Everything I've read so far is that the SE/30 PDS slot can be made to work with the 040 upgrade cards from Daystar, so I would take a hazardous guess and assume the Turbo 601 would be electrically compatible at least.
    A 601 however will produce a lot more heat than a 68040 though, so it will need active cooling.

Edited: An unnamed source is telling me that yes, he has seen a Turbo 601 in an SE/30. How the adapter was made to fit and how the PSU was able to cope, I do not know.
    The folks at 68KMLA have apparently been working on this for years, but they're all half-baked.
    Last edited by NeXT; February 2nd, 2020 at 01:58 PM.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    A 601 however will produce a lot more heat than a 68040 though, so it will need active cooling.
    No, it doesn't.

68040 uses ~4-8W depending on clock speed

PPC 601 uses 6W at 50 MHz, 7W at 66 MHz and 9W at 80 MHz. It then drops back down to 6W at 100 MHz due to process improvements.

At most, you'd need a decently sized heatsink. The SE/30 is one of the few compact macs that has decent airflow due to a fan at the rear of the unit, just make sure the vents on the bottom of the case are not obstructed.

Ok so it sounds like it's definitely feasible but the trouble is going to be that adapter. So it would be PDS to Nubus, correct?

There's a brand new SE/30 adapter that fixes a lot of the issues with using accelerators in the SE/30. It even allows for unsupported accelerators to work such as the MicroMac Carrera. So if you're going to buy an adapter, i'd get one of those and avoid the Daystar or Twinspark adapters.

It's over at 68kmla.org, but unfortunately as I'm typing this, their Certificate has expired yet again, and I can't get the website to load to check who makes the new adapter. I can post once it's back up.

One of the conflicts the new adapter addresses is using an accelerator in conjunction with both (or in certain cases, either) a video card and/or an ethernet card, which can cause corrupted video issues. Neither the Daystar nor the Twinspark (which is a clone of yet a different adapter) address this issue.

Edit: Got it to load under Firefox. Contact user "Bolle" over at 68kmla.org. He designed the brand new SE/30 adapter.
    Last edited by olePigeon; February 4th, 2020 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    There's a brand new SE/30 adapter that fixes a lot of the issues with using accelerators in the SE/30. It even allows for unsupported accelerators to work such as the MicroMac Carrera. So if you're going to buy an adapter, i'd get one of those and avoid the Daystar or Twinspark adapters.

It's over at 68kmla.org, but unfortunately as I'm typing this, their Certificate has expired yet again, and I can't get the website to load to check who makes the new adapter. I can post once it's back up.

One of the conflicts the new adapter addresses is using an accelerator in conjunction with both (or in certain cases, either) a video card and/or an ethernet card, which can cause corrupted video issues. Neither the Daystar nor the Twinspark (which is a clone of yet a different adapter) address this issue.

Edit: Got it to load under Firefox. Contact user "Bolle" over at 68kmla.org. He designed the brand new SE/30 adapter.
    Awesome, thanks. Hopefully that adapter will work for me. So the last thing I need is a set of roms from a Mac II if I did my research correctly

Edit: tried to make an account to send him a message and gmail appears to be blocking the confirmation email
    Last edited by RadRacer203; February 5th, 2020 at 05:04 AM.

If you let me know your username and email, I can send a message to one of the moderators to send you the verification link manually.

Also, if you need a new set of ROMs anyway, I'd say go ahead get a Rominator II from BMOW. It's the direct successor to DougG3's original programmable ROM. It comes pre-loaded with a 32-bit clean ROM and bootable emergency partition loaded with System 7.1, Disk Utility, ResEdit, and other stuff. Unfortunately he's stopped selling the programmer board, so you can't really change the contents.

However, if you like tinkering, there's also the MACSIMM from GG Labs which uses PLCC-32 modules that you can take out and flash yourself. So if you want to build your own custom ROM, I'd recommend that one.

If you somehow get a BMOW programmer board, the GG Labs SIMM also works in it.

Thanks I appreciate it. My username is the same as here and the email I used is mikey.stroz@gmail.com. The rominator should be completely compatible with a stock IIsi or IIfx rom, right? I'll probably get one of those

Yep. It'll work with any of the Mac II based Macs: Macintosh II, IIx, IIfx, IIsi, IIcx, IIci, and SE/30 (Mac II in a compact.)

There's also a programmable ROM for the Macintosh Plus should you happen to get one.

Edit: I emailed one of the site mods about your account, hopefully you'll get an email soon.
    Last edited by olePigeon; February 5th, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    There's also a programmable ROM for the Macintosh Plus should you happen to get one.
    I'm not a Mac guy at all, but I just think having an SE/30 upgraded with this cpu card would be great to have, just because of how ludicrous it is! Once I actually get an SE/30 to put the card in that'll be my one and only Mac! I do want a 2gs at some point though...