Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing with the cable company

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    FYI, for your secondary TVs which don't need the premium/pay TV channels, you do not need a cable box. Almost every new TV made in the past 10+ years has a built-in "clear QAM" tuner which can receive all freely viewable digital cable (or FiOS) channels.
    Not on Comcast in this area. It's all encrypted. This used to work, maybe 10 years ago.

Blog Entries

The thing is here I'm not doing cable except for the internet service. Also, I can tell you that when I had Comcast, you weren't about to squeeze any thing out of it without a paid-up account and a converter box.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I definitely felt the monopoly when Comcast was the ONLY cable provider in my area for longest time. My experience with comcast was alot of the following:
    1.) Lots of outages ( I would have to call every time to get a credit)
    2.) Constant increases in their rates
    3.) Semi-regularly forcing me to upgrade my cable modem (which I always own and never lease) to some slightly newer standard as they would threaten to no longer support my existing model.
    4.) Last but not least daily throttling bottle necks. at the time I would go from around 6Mbs downstream during off peak to 1 - 1.5Mbs during peak.

I live in the same state now but where I bought our home I have options from some of the New York Competitors and the speed and price and reliability are far beyond what Comcast was offering.

Blog Entries

I used to watch lots of cable years ago. As time's gone by I've found less watchable material. I replaced my cable with a big UHF yagi. I also now listen to AM radio from all over at night. I never looked back.
    Rick Ethridge

Inside your home, FiOS uses standard coax cable for the connections to the TVs and the network router.
    Or twisted pair Ethernet cable to the router, depending on speed, date of installation, and / or whether you specifically requested it.

Blog Entries

FYI, for your secondary TVs which don't need the premium/pay TV channels, you do not need a cable box. Almost every new TV made in the past 10+ years has a built-in "clear QAM" tuner which can receive all freely viewable digital cable (or FiOS) channels.
    My in-laws live up in the northeast corner of Michigan's lower peninsula, and have Spectrum for a cable provider, the only game in the area. About 2 years ago all subscribers were forced to add a cable box to their systems. The first box was free and thereafter about $5 per unit. Without the box all you see is noise.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    My in-laws live up in the northeast corner of Michigan's lower peninsula, and have Spectrum for a cable provider, the only game in the area. About 2 years ago all subscribers were forced to add a cable box to their systems. The first box was free and thereafter about $5 per unit. Without the box all you see is noise.
    I remember that. I had to go and get a new cable model a few days after the deadline and there was still a line out of the building.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems