Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Request: rank for modifying posts forever

1. Default Request: rank for modifying posts forever

Hello, I would like to receive a rank that allows me to modify my posts forever.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...y-x86-32-chips

In that topic, i have started collecting CPU information and i would like to modify my first post frequently, to always have the most updated recent results shown.
    Currently, the opening image is outdated, and misleading.

Posts on a web forum really seem like the wrong tool for this job. Have you considered a shared document or a a shared spreadsheet?

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    Posts on a web forum really seem like the wrong tool for this job. Have you considered a shared document or a a shared spreadsheet?
    To be completely frank I do believe it is absurd we cannot edit our posts here after a certain time limit. I do understand that it serves to prevent spam from new accounts, but vetted members should not be subjected to such a restriction. This is the only forum I have ever participated in that does this.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    I dont know any of thise, i never used any of such. I have libreoffice on my computers and thats all the relevant software i have.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    To be completely frank I do believe it is absurd we cannot edit our posts here after a certain time limit.
    I don't think it's absurd. Forum posts are like a conversation. Often people respond to forum posts depending on what someone has previously said. If people are able to constantly change their previous posts, then things will quickly get confusing.

@Geri, perhaps something like a wiki may be more suitable, and then you can link to the wiki in your forum post.

Quote Originally Posted by gonk23 View Post
    I don't think it's absurd. Forum posts are like a conversation. Often people respond to forum posts depending on what someone has previously said. If people are able to constantly change their previous posts, then things will quickly get confusing.
    it is of course the responsibility of the user to be reasonable with their edits, but to disallow it entirely does much more to promote the spread of disinformation and confusion especially with respect to OPs

Unfortunately even "vetted members" can go bonkers and do crazy things from time to time. A single edit at the beginning of a conversation can make it look like eveyone was talking about something other than they actually were. Not very nice.

Also, edits normally don't bump a topic as a new post. If an old post gets edited too few eyes will see it, and it could contain unwanted stuff - better to keep edits short enough that any changes are still on the New Posts list where people can see them.

Allowing editing very old posts would be extra incentive for spammers to try and take over old accounts, or try to become "vetted" with the intention of creating hidden spam. This stuff happens. Limiting editing time keeps things sane.

I also agree that using a discussion forum to host data for something that regularly changes is probably not the right tool for the job. It is probably something you would want to host on a web site of your own.

Once threads reach a certain length, you can be sure that no one is going to read them in their entirety. Being able to update the first post with the most current information prevents people from posting the same (answered) questions repeatedly, and also allows mistakes to be corrected to limit the spread of falsehood.

We allow people to edit posts for a reasonable but short amount of time to take care of obvious typographic errors. But unrestricted editing has been abused a few times in the past and it's just not worth the hassle. Web forum postings here are generally like a running conversation. Going back and revising old posts makes things confusing. This has been debated ad-nauseam and we're not going to open it for debate again. Please respect our judgement and don't assume that we make decisions to torture people.

For something that needs to be frequently edited and updated I would look into Google Drive; it allows you to post documents and spreadsheets online, and even allows you to invite other people to edit the work. That's an appropriate tool for maintaining a catalog of a collection. If you have an aversion to Google choose the cloud company or web hosting company that works for you.

Mike

Blog Entries

Or just put it in a vcfed blog and point to it.