Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trs-io

Default Trs-io

Just thought i'd start a thread on the TRS-IO for anyone else using/building one, it might be a good place since I noticed the documentation was not quite complete. I got a few of the boards made from pcbway and a friend and I are making a couple for our systems. Just wondering if anyone else out there has built them and has any tips. The few things i've noticed so far is that the BOM is missing some components, specifically the resistors. My friend was able to track down what we believe are correct, from the schematics. Also noticed the board is slightly different then the one on the github page.

https://github.com/apuder/TRS-IO

This is where I am so far. I'm waiting on an ESP32 to arrive (I thought I had one but it appears it was a 8266 I had instead) as well as the 74LVC245AN which I also thought I had but misread the part (I have LS's).

Missing from the BoM appears to be the following:

R1-R3 - 470ohm ?
    R4 - 4.7k ohm ?

Hopefully that's correct for those, if not, let me know. I don't think R4 is needed unless theres a FreHD (which I don't have), but i added it anyway.

IMG_20200201_161755b.jpg

Other than the ESP32 and chips I still haven't populated, do any of the other areas on this board still need to populated? No mention of SW2 that I could find. I also assume this supports both the 30 pin and 38 pin ESP32, which is why there are two different connections on the board?

I already flashed a GAL chip, so will just need to do the ESP32 when it arrives (haven't checked the documentation on that to see if it's all there yet or not). I noticed the GAL image is 9 months old, and predates the v1.1 board.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Great to see interest in TRS-IO! Please create pull requests with fixes or where you see deficiencies. It's an open-source community driven project so everyone can participate!

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Great to see interest in TRS-IO! Please create pull requests with fixes or where you see deficiencies. It's an open-source community driven project so everyone can participate!
    Will do, though at the moment i'm not 100% sure in my guesses on things (like those resistors). I'm also not really a github user, so there might be a bit of a learning curve there.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Pete, how did you program the ESP-32. The documentation doesn't mention that at all. I see a few files in the dist folder, I assume one of them gets flashed to the esp32?

bootloader.bin
    partitions_two_ota.bin
    trs-io.bin

Thanks,
    -- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Pete, how did you program the ESP-32. The documentation doesn't mention that at all. I see a few files in the dist folder, I assume one of them gets flashed to the esp32?

bootloader.bin
    partitions_two_ota.bin
    trs-io.bin

Thanks,
    see the steps on the README in my trsnic fork

https://github.com/pski/trsnic/blob/master/README.md

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    see the steps on the README in my trsnic fork

https://github.com/pski/trsnic/blob/master/README.md
    We're having a heck of a time compiling the source files. I also assume that once you compile the source files, it'll just create new bin files that are already on the github site in the dist directory. Is there a way to just flash those bin files instead of creating new ones? I tried doing it with the ESP32 Flash program but it needs the offsets, which i'm assuming you get when whomever compiled the original files on the site.

Is there perhaps an easier way to get these flashed and circumvent the recompiling part?

esp32-flashtool.PNG
    -- Brian

Okay, made some progress. I'm able to flash the bin's from the site using the following:

esp32.jpg

However, the dist files on the github are old (which, presumably is why you said we need to recompile). That said, I can't manage to recompile. It's missing some libraries and it's not clear which ones. I got a number of them installed, but its still failing out with a 'sys/poll.h: No such file or directory' error. Any chance of either getting new distributables uploaded, or letting me know which libraries are needed?

Thanks!
    -- Brian

It would be great to get working firmware. I was hoping to make a video showing off this cool project, especially as there doesn't seem to be a lot of TRS-80 videos around, especially not showing off a useful project like this.
    -- Adrian Black / Adrian's Digital Basement

Quote Originally Posted by misterblack View Post
    It would be great to get working firmware. I was hoping to make a video showing off this cool project, especially as there doesn't seem to be a lot of TRS-80 videos around, especially not showing off a useful project like this.
    I was able to eventually compile this (it's very particular about the linux and esp32 libraries used), but the files still did not seem to work correctly. Not clear what the issue was but I got some working files from a gentleman off of facebook who had similar issues and made some custom changes to the source code to get it to work (documented in the issue tracker on the main TRS-IO github site). In any case, I have documented the process to image the ones i've received via the flashing tool which alleviates the need to build an entire development platform just for this one board.

Since there appears to be a lack of interest in this project on this forum, lets communicate directly and update here when we have everything sorted.
    -- Brian

Hey guys. Let me answer/clarify a few things: these are the MOS-FETs:
    https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...0-G-ND/4902350

You also need to use the SN74LVC245 variant as this chip is used for level-shifting:
    https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...03-5-ND/377483

For your reference, that is the ESP32 module I'm using:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0718T232Z..._EsWpEbJRVGJGT

You can use 100 Ohm for R1-R3 and 4.7K Ohm for R4. Note that you need to install R4 even if you don't have a FreHD. This acts as a pullup resistor.

In terms of compiling the firmware, make use to use version 3.2.2 of the Espressif SDK. Make sure to call "make" in TRS-IO/src. There are some compile-time artifacts that are needed to compile the ESP firmware. You need to install sdcc to compile the TRS code.

HTH,
    Arno