Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone out there on the Internet hoarding OEM restore CD/DVDs?

Blog Entries

Default Is anyone out there on the Internet hoarding OEM restore CD/DVDs?

Quite a few people collect specific machines because they had them growing up. When they finally buy a replacement they probably want its software configured like it came from the factory.

Since my last new OEM machine was a 286 from the very early 90's and I just wipe OEM systems when I get them and load retail OS I never really had to deal with OEM software.

I do have a bunch of OEM Dell CD/DVDs from the XP and Vista 32 bit era I got with a bunch of other driver disks I actually wanted plus some OEM restore CDs for Thinkpads (T4x era I think).

A few weeks back I snagged the original Sony Vaio Pentium 1 desktop and while googling about it stumbled onto the ISO for the OEM reinstall CD (Windows 95). Once Installed it had that fresh from the factory look but I was shocked looking at all the crap that was installed with it.

Most OEMs used to sell you restore disks if you wanted one but the way they are going these days wiping old drivers from existence I assume they no longer keep restore disks for machine way outside of warranty (that collectors like us might want). You also have the issues of companies getting bought out and going bankrupt.

So I was wondering if there were places on the internet that archived OEM install disks which is a touchy subject since they will have a version of Windows on them.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

There used to be, for example a 3rd party company had recovery disks for just about every ThinkPad in existence, but it appears they are out of business now. I will however if I stumble across a machine that still has the original image, create recovery media and then upload that media to archive.org, I hope my peers and friends here on VCF will take up that practice.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Archive.org is a great resource for restore images but is limited on anything pre-Windows XP. I've uploaded a lot of disks that aren't already on there and then some. I'm constantly buying/selling older devices and have taken up the task of cloning every usable drive to extract any driver files and unique software left on the disk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyonadmiral View Post
    There used to be, for example a 3rd party company had recovery disks for just about every ThinkPad in existence, but it appears they are out of business now. I will however if I stumble across a machine that still has the original image, create recovery media and then upload that media to archive.org, I hope my peers and friends here on VCF will take up that practice.
    I just started downloading a Lenovo Thinkcentre win7 x64 restore disk set from archive.org and noticed you uploaded it? Why is the set 10.5GB over multiple ISO?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I just started downloading a Lenovo Thinkcentre win7 x64 restore disk set from archive.org and noticed you uploaded it? Why is the set 10.5GB over multiple ISO?
    If it was multiple ISO's, then that's what the recovery set generated; a few DVD's. There was only ONE system, where I couldn't create a recovery set, but it still had the recovery partition intact, so I snagged the whole drive image as a .GHO

Blog Entries

Well I installed those disks onto a system and they worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Well I installed those disks onto a system and they worked fine.
    Was there a problem? I was just answering your question, I don't why the set was 10.5 gigs; I created the recovery media and then ISO'd each disc and then uploaded it.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Blog Entries

No, just wondering if there were multiple OS types or something to make the image(s) that large. My system was a M73 i5 Thinkcentre.
    Those systems didn't have a Win7 serial sticker (is that a thing anymore?) but the restore did and it is activated.

Blog Entries

Don't think that I've ever used anything but the neutral CD/DVDs for this from the MSDN collection. I've probably got the odd Win9x CD for OEMs, but never used them.

Blog Entries

Sooner or later any OS that needs an activation server to function is going to have issues with retail disc installs. I prefer original retail discs myself and did use that on a Thinkcenter i7 system, the i5 is Haswell and you need to add drivers or you can't use the Win7 SP1 DVD to install.