Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: one of the oddest peecees

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I meant custom as in yes it's still a clone that was mass produced, but by no means is it a generic XT clone or cheap plastic Apple II enclosure. Perhaps "unique" was a better word. :P
    It would be really nice if one of the references to that Fugu machine actually had a picture of it. My guess, though, is if it was ever sold in anything approaching a mainstream publication is was in the form of one of those classified ad-type things they stuck near that back, maybe with a crude drawing of it. Would also be nice to know when it was on sale; Franklin sold a PC-looking Apple II clone in the form of the ACE 2200 around... 1985? The slimline drives imply that sort of vintage for this, perhaps it was specifically knocking off the Franklin machine.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

The power supply in it looks like it has a manufacturing date of "73.3.27" stamped on it. That's using the traditional Taiwanese calendar where year 73 = 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republ...China_calendar

something like this, I've seen a few of these cheapo Taiwanese Apple II clones in IBM XT style case.

I own an XT turbo that came from one of these manufactures in 1985, nearly identical case.

Looks like we have a winner there. (Although there's also a good chance that's just a "clip art" photo.)

I'm still kind of surprised how crude the workmanship seems to be but, hey, I'm sure it was cheap.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

The case I was referring to had a differently styled bezel. I'll look up the issue when I feel less drained (new cat in the house).