Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Svideo to VGA/DVI without picture improvement(for e.g. for Atari)?

Thank You all for answers. I generally don't mind scaling up resolution - I understand that LCD have some minimal resolutions, and can't work lower. But this adapters also do some strange things(maybe I am wrong) - with colours. Maybe because of the advertised on box picture improvements.
    BTW: my Atari 65XE don't have ECI/external(only cartridge) and with RF cable is working in PAL mode of the adapters. With RF cable the image is usually quite good(as for RF cable), but I am curious if using "monitor output" (which on this model is probably S-video and Composite) the image would be more or less near the emu/RGB.

Quote Originally Posted by pgru2 View Post
    Thank You all for answers. I generally don't mind scaling up resolution - I understand that LCD have some minimal resolutions, and can't work lower. But this adapters also do some strange things(maybe I am wrong) - with colours. Maybe because of the advertised on box picture improvements.
    BTW: my Atari 65XE don't have ECI/external(only cartridge) and with RF cable is working in PAL mode of the adapters. With RF cable the image is usually quite good(as for RF cable), but I am curious if using "monitor output" (which on this model is probably S-video and Composite) the image would be more or less near the emu/RGB.
    Possibly missing the question, but to get the best picture and hook up to an LCD, I'd suggest the following:

DB5 S-Video/Composite Cable:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...cable&_sacat=0
    (you can also easily make one of these cables)

Retrotink:
    https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x

And something to convert from mini HDMI to vga (there are dvi options which you can look into as well):
    https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-C.../dp/B07D5WGCG1

If you're looking for cheaper, there are a couple options. Some of the cheap (plastic) composite to hdmi converters sorta work, but arent' great. The "more quality looking" metal ones with s-video don't really work at all on an Atari 8-bit that i've found, you'll likely get a horrible or b/w picture with them...
    Another cheap option is to just pick up a 4:3 LCD TV from your local goodwill that has svideo/composite built into it.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Maybe it also works with the DVI - but (really don't want to talk about prices, because it may be against rules of this forum, or I wrong understand).

I have also Avermedia DVI Box 9 - but I don't known how to turn out the picture improvements - something that maybe worked nice with TV, don't always work nice with so big pixels.

To clear the situation - sorry if it's stupid question.

Is something like NTSC svideo and PAL svideo? Is there possible that my Atari have PAL output on RF cable , and on Monitor it have NTSC?

Quote Originally Posted by pgru2 View Post
    Is something like NTSC svideo and PAL svideo? Is there possible that my Atari have PAL output on RF cable , and on Monitor it have NTSC?
    It's unlikely. The timing (and colour encoding) of PAL and NTSC is different. So two completely separate circuits would be needed for the two outputs, which would probably have been too expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    You guys are both missing something very important - the distinction between fields and frames. NTSC is 262 or 263 total lines (240 active) per *field* which is why progressive computer sources with low line counts still meet timing.
    Yes, that's an important detail

Just tested a CGA card using a TV last night. There's a lot of blank space on the top and bottom - about 62 or 63 lines total I guess

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    S-Video is an analog signal and has no hard defined resolution standard. S-Video certainly can't pass a full NTSC signal through it without significant degradation because there isn't enough bandwidth available. The analog signal going through S-Video is NOT a defined standard. S-Video has a theoretical bandwidth limit of around 4 MHz, that's it. You can literally toss any analog signal on an S-Video cable, and it was done.
    I'm not sure where you are getting this from. S-Video defines the connector, pin assignments for luma and modulated chroma, and implicitly attaches a modulation scheme to the chroma signal defined by broadcast TV standards (NTSC, PAL, or SECAM). It's essentially a composite video signal that separates chroma from luma allowing a little more bandwidth for each. This results in better definition for luma as it doesn't have to be compressed and better color rendition for chroma.

While technically the bandwidth is a function of the conductor in the cable, the use and name implies the cable should at least have enough bandwidth to handle the maximum transition rate of 13.5 MHz defined by NTSC and PAL.

Of course if you feel I (and everyone else on the Internet) is in error, feel free to update places like Wikipedia with your citations.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me