Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corona Data Systems PPC-11

We know that one. It also was sold as Olivetti M18.

Either you're a really horrible tetris player, or some of the numeral keys on your keyboard are not working.

Actually none of the keyboard is working

I haven't dug into it yet

Thanks for the images pinkdonut666

Blog Entries

Shortly after this unit was deployed, Corona changed its name to "Cordata". Submitted for whatever it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by EkriirkE View Post
    Actually none of the keyboard is working

I haven't dug into it yet

Thanks for the images pinkdonut666
    Hmm... Interesting! I just bought one off eBay that seems to have a similar issue - keyboard doesn't work. Did you ever get it to work or figure out what the cause is/was?

Those are pretty cool. Kinda crazy to see a computer that says “Corona” on it right now...
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    Those are pretty cool. Kinda crazy to see a computer that says “Corona” on it right now...
    The logo as well - make that yellow 'corona' just a little more spiky...

It's not easy to tell from the photos, but I'm wondering about the text display: does it use a 16x16-dot font like the closely related PPC-440? That one was interesting in that it produced very sharp and well-defined text for its time, with an effective text mode resolution of 1280x400.

(Since I'm already soliciting contributions for my Oldschool PC Font Pack update, if any PPC-11 owners would like to help out, hit me up)
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Quote Originally Posted by VileR View Post
    The logo as well - make that yellow 'corona' just a little more spiky...

It's not easy to tell from the photos, but I'm wondering about the text display: does it use a 16x16-dot font like the closely related PPC-440? That one was interesting in that it produced very sharp and well-defined text for its time, with an effective text mode resolution of 1280x400.

(Since I'm already soliciting contributions for my Oldschool PC Font Pack update, if any PPC-11 owners would like to help out, hit me up)
    Mine is a PPC-21, but I'm having keyboard issues, so it's tough to interact with it. Are you looking for a ROM dump? The little 9" screen on mine does have an insane looking resolution. Very sharp. Nicer than the old Compaq portable I used to have.
    I did manage to get the 20MB HDD to spin and lo-and-behold, it actually works and still has data on it. Transferring it now using interlnk/intersvr off a boot floppy. Glad I kept that old parallel port Laplink cable from back in the day!

And yeah -- I got the Corona machine off eBay partially because of the name, and partially because I found an old picture of a 13-yr old me, sitting in the backyard playing a game (likely MS Flightsim 1.0) on a portable machine. I thought it was a Compaq, but upon closer inspection, it's a Corona! A little nostalgia there. Looking to restore this machine to full functionality and recreate the scene about 34 yrs later!