Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terminator Genisys

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default Terminator Genisys

Ok I'm a tad late with the movie review. Better late then never.

Ok I didn't hate it. Even kind of sort of liked it. Some people are harsh critics. I consider myself one of them. I don't watch many movies, I lean heavily towards sci-fi and such. For it's entertainment value, and also consider I didn't pay anything to see it, a solid 6.5/10, maybe 7. Not a classic, but it was ok.

One very redeeming thing about the movie, and having really nothing to do with the movie itself, was the fact I knew next to nothing about it going in. These asshole movie houses can't abstain from giving everyone on the planet an early viewing via trailers. I'm working hard not to watch anything before seeing a movie. Seeing a therapist, etc.

One chuckle was the scene where the kid was told he had only a few days before he got his Genisys. I did a double take. Are 16 bits going to make a comeback in the future? How's that for bringing the post back on topic.

Well do yourself a favor and dont see the new terminator. Genesys was either slightly better or just as bad. The last one i liked was salvarion. People give it lots of flak but i dont know why. It was enjoyable to me.

I already saw Dark Fate. ... I'm not 5 years late with everything. I didn't hate it either. Parts of it were hilarious, parts that weren't meant to be. I realize people don't go for the woke garbage, but unless it's overtly political, I don't see any of that.

I have Salvation on order. I mean these movies aren't great (i.e they aren't T2: Judgment Day, a true classic). But they're passable in my book.

NOW ... Avengers End Game. Here's a shocker. I give it a 4/10. I honestly was mildly disgusted the first time I saw it. It became a bit more interesting the 2nd and 3rd time. But frankly I thought it was pretty stupid.

Blog Entries

I just saw Dark Fate last weekend -- thought it was awful. Dark Fate felt like an episode of Scorpion - cheesy CGI effects, silly banter, no real plot. The worst was all the CGI stunt doubles bouncing around the plane, which was also very obviously CGI. Mackenzie Davis was totally unlikable (I didn't even like her in Halt and Catch Fire), Arnold was an afterthought. None of it made an ounce of sense. The one amazing scene was at the beginning, with the de-aging in full effect. But killing John Connor was stupid and made a waste of the first two movies. Seeing Arnold all aged and shrunk just made the whole thing sad.

I don't know. Maybe I'm getting old. I watched T2 in the theater and I remember how amazing it was. And the thing is, they didn't use a lot of CGI (probably couldn't have afforded it). Just enough to sell it. Somehow in 1991 they did a better meld of CGI and reality than we can do today. I think what made T2 so great were its timing (we still had anxiety about the Soviet Union collapse and what would follow), the real life stunts, the atmosphere, the way it felt grounded in reality even thought it obviously wasn't. The menace. The dread.

If I'd been writing a sequel to that I would have treated the first two movies as an alternate timeline in which Judgment Day is accelerated by Skynet's interventions (Cyberdyne getting a cheat in the form of Terminator fragments). I would have played it as a reversion to the original timeline with Skynet and associated tech just in its infancy today. And I would have had something truly novel with the new villian, maybe a terminator composed of gas rather than liquid. I don't know.

But yeah, Genisys and Dark Fate sucked for me, anyway.
    Last edited by falter; February 5th, 2020 at 06:37 PM.

See now you all got me analyzing DF. Yeah it was laughable, some of the same parts I found amusing. But in a different, deplorable sort of way.

T2 used SGI Indigo 2's for the cgi. That was high art back then. I'm not prepared to say T2's cgi was superior to today. I will say that modern cgi is often cheesy and comic bookish. For all the millions they spend, you'd think they could put a bit more polish on some things. The scripts especially.

Blog Entries

I don't think the T2 CGI was technically superior - just that it was deployed only where absolutely necessary and appropriate. We didn't have people bouncing off walls like globs of flubber.

IT was a pretty standard and awful movie. And I have to ask. What is it with all movies being about "girl power" lately? Whatever it is its bad unrealistic writing. Sarah Conner was a much more compelling female lead in the first two movies.
    I'm pretty much done with new movies. They are all mostly disappointing. And as someone who STILL collects comic books... I am over the comic book movies as well.

Ok watched T* Salvation. No, wasn't bad, ending could have been better. Early on I was thinking it had the potential to be a better movie then T2, but nah. It could have been ... but needed more work.

Blog Entries

The Terminator series after T2 was a mess because of the story being changed too much and focusing on stupid action instead of terror.
    T2 when it came out with the liquid terminator (that to be honest made no sense but looked cool) was a major advance in CGI and the movie cost a bunch more then the original which didn't do that great at the box office but was a huge home video seller and VHS rental.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Well T2 alleviated a lot of the terror element when the source of terror in the original was pulled over from the dark side. The future seemed a lot brighter when we discovered all these robots could be rehabilitated. It sure as hell was suspenseful, even more so, cuz the new Terminator seemed undefeatable. No I couldn't figure out how he worked either. I guess that's what made him so terrifying. Or perplexing. Got all tied up in knots trying to make sense of it all. Or something.

It's too bad the art of thermite was lost on all of the heroes. All you'd need to do is hang a bag of thermite around their necks and watch them get reduced to slag.

What I liked about T:S was the whole post Apocalypse Mad Max type of scenario. Christian Bale and the other guy were very well suited to their roles. I thought yhe ending was kind of weak. A lot of movies wait until the end to let you down.