Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terminator Genisys

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I just saw Dark Fate last weekend -- thought it was awful. Dark Fate felt like an episode of Scorpion - cheesy CGI effects, silly banter, no real plot. The worst was all the CGI stunt doubles bouncing around the plane, which was also very obviously CGI. Mackenzie Davis was totally unlikable (I didn't even like her in Halt and Catch Fire), Arnold was an afterthought. None of it made an ounce of sense. The one amazing scene was at the beginning, with the de-aging in full effect. But killing John Connor was stupid and made a waste of the first two movies. Seeing Arnold all aged and shrunk just made the whole thing sad.

I don't know. Maybe I'm getting old. I watched T2 in the theater and I remember how amazing it was. And the thing is, they didn't use a lot of CGI (probably couldn't have afforded it). Just enough to sell it. Somehow in 1991 they did a better meld of CGI and reality than we can do today. I think what made T2 so great were its timing (we still had anxiety about the Soviet Union collapse and what would follow), the real life stunts, the atmosphere, the way it felt grounded in reality even thought it obviously wasn't. The menace. The dread.

If I'd been writing a sequel to that I would have treated the first two movies as an alternate timeline in which Judgment Day is accelerated by Skynet's interventions (Cyberdyne getting a cheat in the form of Terminator fragments). I would have played it as a reversion to the original timeline with Skynet and associated tech just in its infancy today. And I would have had something truly novel with the new villian, maybe a terminator composed of gas rather than liquid. I don't know.

But yeah, Genisys and Dark Fate sucked for me, anyway.
    The "prequel" if you will to T2 was the GnR album, some of which was on the soundtrack. That created a measure of hype. There was that scene in Salvation where JC (where have we seen those initials before?) hijacks the motorcycle-terminator and played "You could be mine". Very, very neato-kean. All in all Salvation could have been a great movie I feel. But it was totally ok by me.

Its the third best terminator movie by my standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    The "prequel" if you will to T2 was the GnR album, some of which was on the soundtrack. That created a measure of hype. There was that scene in Salvation where JC (where have we seen those initials before?) hijacks the motorcycle-terminator and played "You could be mine". Very, very neato-kean. All in all Salvation could have been a great movie I feel. But it was totally ok by me.
    Probably my favorite GNR song ever..

And this too should be a howler. I watched the Matrix for the first time the other night. I had seen a portion of one of the sequels years ago, but really didn't have a clue about the plot until 2 days ago. I suppose tech having too much a part of our lives in the future is a somrwhat common theme. But some elements of the Matrix seemed to be lifted right out of the T* movies.

And this too should be a howler. I watched the Matrix for the first time the other night. I had seen a portion of one of the sequels years ago, but really didn't have a clue about the plot until 2 days ago. I suppose tech having too much a part of our lives in the future is a somrwhat common theme. But some elements of the Matrix seemed to be lifted right out of the T* movies.
    to some degree.. Then again everything has "been done" and since been regurgitated.. sometimes multiple times. I like the first Matrix movie... At the time It was a phenomenon for a reason.. Its still good today.. The sequels? Nope. Good idea but badly portrayed.
    Honestly I find alot more similarities with Tron than with the Terminator series. I loved Tron.. I was glad their was a sequel but it fell a bit short.

Blog Entries

Nobody is going to like everything. If a movie entertained you, great. If it didn't, there are hundreds of thousands more to choose from.

My quick capsule reviews of T:

T1: Enjoyable, of its time, not amazing but worth seeing once.
    T2: Masterpiece. I saw it BEFORE seeing T1 which screwed up the impact of two scenes for me, but was still great.
    T3: Mostly forgettable, one good action scene. I do give it major props, though, for sticking to its guns and having a truly B-movie "you can't change the future" ending. Was legitimately not expecting that.
    T4: So forgettable that I have it on order so I can remember what it was about.
    T5: Genesys committed the cardinal sin of screwing up continuity of beloved characters: JC is the bad guy. Also, Skynet is the bad guy. Too many bad guys. Too much going on at once. Same reason Raimi's Spider-Man 3 was not enjoyable (and also because it was clear Toby and Kirsten were phoning it in).
    T6: Dark Fate committed the cardinal sin of screwing up continuity of beloved characters: Kill off JC immediately. Other than that, I felt it bent over backwards trying to appeal to everyone, and succeeded more often than failed. Most people would be very surprised to learn that it was James Cameron himself who killed off JC, and is on record in an interview confirming that.

T6 lost money, so you can be confident it's the last Terminator film, and don't really need to talk about it much longer.

As for women protagonists, I (a 48-yr-old married male with two grown sons) actually like seeing more women kicking ass. It's refreshing to see brains+brawn winning over jacked-up-mega-brawn now and then. (Along those lines, while it was not as nuanced as the original source material, Battle Angel Alita was very enjoyable and makes for great 4K OLED viewing.)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Nobody is going to like everything. I agree
    T2: Masterpiece. I saw it BEFORE seeing T1 which screwed up the impact of two scenes for me, but was still great. I am pretty sure I did as well, I saw T2 in the theaters but have no memory of T1 until the 90's
    T4: So forgettable that I have it on order so I can remember what it was about. I honestly dont understand (although I am really, really trying to) or see the reason for your guys hate for this film. The actor (from avatar) sure hes a stick in the mud.

As for women protagonists, I (a 48-yr-old married male with two grown sons) actually like seeing more women kicking ass. It's refreshing to see brains+brawn winning over jacked-up-mega-brawn now and then. (Along those lines, while it was not as nuanced as the original source material, Battle Angel Alita was very enjoyable and makes for great 4K OLED viewing.)
    But a strong woman role can build from a strong male role and vice versa... I meant the whole All woman for some reason.. line ups they are doing. besides sarah connor, all forgettable with no charm, charisma, or personality.

Granted, the younger male action start roles went through, and still are with some awful blande characters like Jason statham, Sam Worthington, Paul Walker, and Channing Tatum. They are all interchangeably boring and bland in everything they do. Just because they cant carry a film doesn't mean its a gender bias issue.
    I love a Strong woman lead if done right. But the last terminator film didnt do it.. Star Wars isnt doing it. Its a missed opportunity quite frankly.

Blog Entries

after T2 everything go downhill and the last movie is so horrible that when i was in the cinema, the felling was like being in the electric chair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I honestly dont understand (although I am really, really trying to) or see the reason for your guys hate for this film.
    I said it was so forgettable that I don't remember anything in it that happened. I didn't say I hated it. In fact, I said it was queued up to watch again.

Its a missed opportunity quite frankly.
    Then I reiterate my previous recommendation for Battle Angel Alita, and I'll throw in Atomic Blonde as well (both available in 4k). Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon has one of the very best fight scenes (from a storytelling point of view) in all of theatrical Wushu, and that scene stars two women. And if none of these appeal, it's always a good day to re-watch Aliens
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Alita was ok by me. The continual mechanical exagerated cgi facial expressions was a source of great annoyance, even disgust. We get it already! Hollowood can push all the "non-traditional" characters they want, if the movie sucks, well it sucks. I don't watch a movie to have my sense of reality warped. I want to be entertained. There always have been very VERY popular bad-ass female characters, those that stood on their own. The tendency these days clearly is to promote, what they would have us believe, under represented characters at the expense of a worthwhile viewing experience.

Alita was ok by me. The continual mechanical exagerated cgi facial expressions was a source of great annoyance, even disgust. We get it already! Hollowood can push all the "non-traditional" characters they want, if the movie sucks, well it sucks. I don't watch a movie to have my sense of reality warped. I want to be entertained. There always have been very VERY popular bad-ass female characters, those that stood on their own. The tendency these days clearly is to promote, what they would have us believe, under represented characters at the expense of a worthwhile viewing experience.
    Yeah I didn't get the impression the lanky tall blonde chick was "badass", I got the impression the situation was absurdly unbelievable when she is slammed into objects that would cause massive harm and death over and over. Sarah Conner in T2 was impaled in the shoulder and she walked around as if she was badly wounded unable to use that arm.. Thats believable. I can suspend disbelief to a degree after which point, its just.. Hollywood garbage.

Killer robots are scary. CGI monsters are not. Whey don't the T movies focus on unwielding, unstoppable "ROBOTS", made with practical effects... That is what made the first movie scary.. That is still scary. CGI is just not real, my brain knows it not real and it doesn't inspire an emotion when I watch it.