Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hard disk drives and Windows 10

Default Hard disk drives and Windows 10

I've had really bad luck with modern operating systems. I haven't had nearly as many problems with Windows 7, but it doesn't really offer any more features than Windows XP in return for its obviously slower performance on older hardware. And Windows 8 and 8.1 with their webby touchscreen-oriented "Metro" interfaces? No thank you.

But by far the worst offender has been Windows 10. I've made the mistake of installing W10 on three different laptops in the past few years. None of them were even that old when their hard drives failed. The most recent one was a Lenovo gaming laptop from 2014; its hard drive died a little over a year ago, and I've yet to replace it with an SSD.
    Contrast this with my Dell OptiPlex 170L desktop, which has seen almost daily use since 2005, still has the original 40GB drive and it's still going strong to this day. Running Windows XP Home Edition.

So, does Windows 10 just not like HDDs? Could it be a coincidence, or do they just not make hard drives "like they used to"?

Quote Originally Posted by TH2002 View Post
    I've had really bad luck with modern operating systems. I haven't had nearly as many problems with Windows 7, but it doesn't really offer any more features than Windows XP in return for its obviously slower performance on older hardware.
    Really have no idea what you mean. Running windows 7 on all my pcs and they run fast. Maybe its all the programs you have running. Id say windows 7 isnt the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Really have no idea what you mean. Running windows 7 on all my pcs and they run fast. Maybe its all the programs you have running. Id say windows 7 isnt the issue.
    I'm talking about the older hardware I keep running. For example, the desktop I mention later in my post. It can run Windows 7, but a lot slower than XP. Obviously newer PCs can run Windows 7 a lot better.

Blog Entries

On older 32-bit hardware with limited memory, Win 7 in my experience is indeed slower than XP.

To answer the original question, I've never noticed any hard drive issues with windows 10 that didn't occur with any other OS. I guess it's possible they read/write more, or it's possible that (as Verault alluded to) you run drive intensive applications. I would suggest using an SSD as a boot drive on any OS that supports it - not for any technical reason, just because they're cheap enough and can definitely make older machines seem like new machines. That 2014 gaming laptop should definitely have an SSD (honestly, any laptop experience would be improved immensely by an SSD).

As far as speed, sure.. older hardware doesn't run newer OS's as fast.. For the desktops, run whatever OS runs your applications that suits you, it really doesn't matter (assuming you practice safe computing). For the laptops, i'd use Windows 10 personally (if you have to use windows) if it truly is a portable system (meaning you leave the house with it), for both security reasons as well as functionality. I also agree about never running windows 8 if you value your sanity.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

I've had really bad luck with modern operating systems. I haven't had nearly as many problems with Windows 7, but it doesn't really offer any more features than Windows XP in return for its obviously slower performance on older hardware. And Windows 8 and 8.1 with their webby touchscreen-oriented "Metro" interfaces? No thank you.

But by far the worst offender has been Windows 10. I've made the mistake of installing W10 on three different laptops in the past few years. None of them were even that old when their hard drives failed. The most recent one was a Lenovo gaming laptop from 2014; its hard drive died a little over a year ago, and I've yet to replace it with an SSD.
    Contrast this with my Dell OptiPlex 170L desktop, which has seen almost daily use since 2005, still has the original 40GB drive and it's still going strong to this day. Running Windows XP Home Edition.

So, does Windows 10 just not like HDDs? Could it be a coincidence, or do they just not make hard drives "like they used to"?
    With laptops Windows/10 does stress the machine more than older OS's. The search function constantly indexes files. I think this is the same as Windows/7 but you may want to disable it...

https://winaero.com/blog/disable-sea...ng-windows-10/

but laptops are also easily dropped and hard drives don't like it. I would fit an SSD where ever possible.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Windows 10's constant, major (multi-gigabyte) updates every few months really burned through a lot of hard drive space and SSD write cycles. But I've heard that from now on, Microsoft is slowing down new Windows 10 releases to focus more on "quality".

If you don't have enough RAM, you could be thrashing the drive just for swapfile.

Blog Entries

Could it be a coincidence
    ...Yes.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)