Image Map Image Map

Thread: VGA cards in a 5160 - slightly weird results

Default VGA cards in a 5160 - slightly weird results

I just tested a few VGA cards in my 5160 motherboard. I was using a 8513 monitor.

First card was a Trident 9000i card jumpered for 8 bit mode. Didn't work (no output). But that's to be expected, as reported by sergey in another thread...

Next up was an old Oak Technology OTI037C based card. It had an 8/16 jumper clearly labelled. I found the dip switch settings in the manual. Now the weird bit... All the VGA, PS/2 and Multisync monitor settings provided no output. Neither a signal the monitor was unhappy with. The MDA and EGA settings provided out of sync signals. But the CGA setting worked! It looks like the card switches to a 40 column mode with VGA compatible timing...

I also had a newer OTI037C card. I got nowhere with that one. I think I located the 8/16 jumper, but the card is unmarked, and I don't have the manual.

Next a WD90C00 based card. Beeeeep beep beep. Perhaps I have to locate a jumper on that card. No manual...

Finally a Tseng ET3000 based card. Success! Booted up in standard VGA text mode.

I re-ran the tests using another XT board. Looks like basically a clone, but running at 8MHz.

Slightly different results. The old OTI037C was still weird, and the Trident 9000i still didn't work.

But both the newer OTI037C and the WD90C00 based card now worked.

What caused the difference? BIOS? 8MHz? No idea

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_5 View Post
    But both the newer OTI037C and the WD90C00 based card now worked.
    5160 motherboard = 8088 CPU
    Clone mothervboard = V20 CPU ??????

The BIOS expansion ROM in some cards contain CPU instructions that are not present in the 8088.

No, Siemens SAB8088-1-P, so no V20...

Does your TVGA 9000i have the 8/16 bit jumpers at J8 and J9 or at J1 and J3?

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    Does your TVGA 9000i have the 8/16 bit jumpers at J8 and J9 or at J1 and J3?
    "J1: closed: for 8-bit slot" - according to the manual. This is the only jumper I have installed.

J3 is for "Enable/Disable Autodetect." Auto-detect of what exactly?

The manual here: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manu...20Rev.%20B.pdf suggests that it tries to auto detect the bios interface, whether 8 or 16 bit, and it says that if you have trouble with booting you should install the jumper to disable the auto detect and then it will start up with the 8 bit interface.

My card comes with a single folded piece of paper, about the size of a 3" floppy...
    The jumpers are in the location shown in the complete manual, but are labelled differently. On my card J1 is only a single jumper. I'll try with all jumpers installed

Tested the Trident card with all combinations of jumpers installed. No combination produced any output. Tested it in a 386 board - worked fine. Perhaps a BIOS that's too "modern"?

And to answer one of my own questions:

Wobbly/corroded slot connectors. The connectors on the IBM board are practically ZIF compared to the Taiwan board. I could get one of the cards that previously did not work to work, by setting the card slightly off vertical.

When testing floppy cards/drives, I could get the floppy motors to turn randomly on, just by pushing the controller slightly. So bad connections it seems...

Any way to clean those effectively?

Blog Entries

Tested the Trident card with all combinations of jumpers installed. No combination produced any output. Tested it in a 386 board - worked fine. Perhaps a BIOS that's too "modern"?
    Some VGA BIOSes have 80186 or 80286 instructions in them, as they were engineered for 16-bit slots and knew they would be getting one of those CPUs or better. Not sure if that's your case, but thought I'd mention it. You could test for this by temporarily replacing your 8088 CPU with an NEC V20 CPU to see if it boots up.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)