Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Blog Entries

Default Cyberpunk 2077

How will Cyberpunk 2077 affect Steam's bottom line? CP2077 is about to be released to the general public this April in some form or another. So, what's the big deal? Well, for one thing it will hit the stores, as well as GOG, with no DRM. The retail price will be about average for a game of this genre; less than $60.

Over on one of the Steam sites, that marketing strategy is not being received too well. It seems that those who are both feet into Steam, seem to think it will be the ruination of the industry. This game is by the same people who brought you the Witcher series, and the Forbes reviews, from a business standpoint, aren't sure that Projekt Red can fully match the success of Witcher. I don't care what Forbes says, I going to buy it. If it's half as good as Witcher III it's going to be a winner.

So, how are the Steam folks reacting to no longer being able to use the XP platform from DRM Central? I suppose most of those who found themselves caught up in that debacle just went ahead and moved over to W10. Also, with GOG no longer supporting XP, it may be the future of retro gaming. As for myself, I'm busily acquiring XP games where I can if the price is right.

As an aside, I recently contacted the GOG people and asked if they would ever consider having a "fire sale" on their XP collection, and never mind about support. Their reply was "not at this time".
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    How will Cyberpunk 2077 affect Steam's bottom line?
    It's one triple-AAA title against many, and all of the indie games combined. In 2017 (the only year I could get verified numbers for) Steam took in 4.3 billion in revenue. I don't think they're hurting and I don't think the loss of a single title will make any difference.

What should worry PC gamers is that PC game sales in general have been declining year over year since 2014. Maybe not "worry", but "take note of". Sign of things moving to mobile and console (and streaming, if Stadia/Geforce Now succeed).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    It's one triple-AAA title against many, and all of the indie games combined. In 2017 (the only year I could get verified numbers for) Steam took in 4.3 billion in revenue. I don't think they're hurting and I don't think the loss of a single title will make any difference.

What should worry PC gamers is that PC game sales in general have been declining year over year since 2014. Maybe not "worry", but "take note of". Sign of things moving to mobile and console (and streaming, if Stadia/Geforce Now succeed).
    Good take. I have a feeling that some are very dissatisfied with being dictated to on how, when, or where you can play a game that you own. Or do you? I not saying anything that hasn't been said many times before, but the way Stream handled the XP thing ought to be a wakeup call for gamers. If Cyberpunk sales are successful, which they most assuredly will be (grab the trailer for a look-see), others are sure to follow. I think the piracey thing may have run its course for most part. Sure, there will always be be a minority of those who will take advantage but most people don't. Evidence that fact that you rarely or ever see GOG games for sale outside of GOG itself. It's a start and only time will tell.

Blog Entries

There is... a bit to unpack here.

"dissatisfied with being dictated to on how, when, or where you can play a game that you own" -- I can play Steam games on any system I log in to, so how is this a restriction?

"the XP thing" - Dropping support for a 19-year-old OS was neither unexpected nor a scandal. I can still play Half-Life 2 on my W10 system, so I'm not sure how anything was taken away from me... Wait, I can't install it on XP any more and can only play it on modern OSes? Well, that's what I want, since my modern GPU and monitor is orders of magnitude better than any system I have capable of running XP.

"others are sure to follow" -- They already are; see the Epic store, and GOG.

"the piracy thing may have run its course" -- With respect, you are not looking in the correct places for pirated software if you think it has run its course
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

There is... a bit to unpack here.

"dissatisfied with being dictated to on how, when, or where you can play a game that you own" -- I can play Steam games on any system I log in to, so how is this a restriction?

"the XP thing" - Dropping support for a 19-year-old OS was neither unexpected nor a scandal. I can still play Half-Life 2 on my W10 system, so I'm not sure how anything was taken away from me... Wait, I can't install it on XP any more and can only play it on modern OSes? Well, that's what I want, since my modern GPU and monitor is orders of magnitude better than any system I have capable of running XP.

"others are sure to follow" -- They already are; see the Epic store, and GOG.

"the piracy thing may have run its course" -- With respect, you are not looking in the correct places for pirated software if you think it has run its course
    Well, you're a little closer to the industry than most of us and I respect that. But, I didn't realize that your were such a Steam slappie. Buy your Steam game and then set it up without Steam online - oh, there may be a problem with that. Yes, you hit the nail on the head, "log into". Isn't true that before you play a Steam game "off-line", you still have to "log" into Steam first? If that isn't an oxymoron I don't know what is. Also, I suppose it's just okay to wait it out if the net is down.

It doesn't matter how old XP is; there's a great following out there for it. I like playing games on XP as well as the XP as a platform. I haven't heard any period gamers say they're glad XP went away. Also, I didn't say there wasn't piracey, just not as much. And no, I'm not part of the USENET bunch or do I condone it. BTW, I have a nice up to date gamer with W10 Pro and all the bells and whistles. So everything has its place along with the rest of the in-house collection.

You mentioned Steam sales at about 4.5 billion or so. Well, yeah, why wouldn't it be so, as they're the only game in town a - virtual monopoly. Is it possible that there may be some antitrust shenanigans afoot here?

I'm thinking CP2077 will be a winner and more like it will follow.

Blog Entries

Buy your Steam game and then set it up without Steam online - oh, there may be a problem with that. Yes, you hit the nail on the head, "log into". Isn't true that before you play a Steam game "off-line", you still have to "log" into Steam first? If that isn't an oxymoron I don't know what is. Also, I suppose it's just okay to wait it out if the net is down.
    I don't know what a "slappie" is, but if it means "apologist", I'm not. I'm just stating that there is no loss of convenience. To get the game, you have to download it from somewhere, so why wouldn't you be online? In what usage scenario would you want to download it but install it later when offline? Backups? Fear of Steam going away? That was a fear in the 2000s when it wasn't obvious if Steam would be around or not, but since they're obviously not going anywhere, I don't think this is a valid fear any more.

It doesn't matter how old XP is; there's a great following out there for it. I like playing games on XP as well as the XP as a platform.
    Then install your games off of CDROM and DVDROM, like we all did back when XP was relevant, and which delivery mechanism (if they aren't copy-protected) meet your criteria. I'm still not seeing an actual problem here. The only games that are coming out in 2020 that might be compatible with XP are indie games, and you can get those from a variety of places (see below).

You mentioned Steam sales at about 4.5 billion or so. Well, yeah, why wouldn't it be so, as they're the only game in town a - virtual monopoly. Is it possible that there may be some antitrust shenanigans afoot here?
    Steam is not the only game in town and is not a monopoly. They don't have current most-played multiplayer game in the world (Fortnite), for example; the Epic Game store does. There are other stores that carry exclusives for their publishers too: EA's Origin, Ubisoft’s uPlay, and Blizzard’s Battle.net. There's https://itch.io/ for indie games which is huge. Amazon also sells online games.

I'm thinking CP2077 will be a winner and more like it will follow.
    CP2077 is a rare beast that 1. comes from a known successful triple-aaa dev team and 2. everyone has been waiting for since 2013. That is going to make money no matter what. It's a lot riskier to release on GOG day 1 for most other devs.

If you want to monitor growth and migration, also keep your eye on the Epic game store: They offer devs/publishers a much higher percentage of the gross sale than Steam does. Outer Worlds released there on purpose, exclusively for the first 6 months (after which it will be available in other places) specifically because they thought they'd net more profit.
    Offering a bounty for:

Blog Entries

I don't know what a "slappie" is, but if it means "apologist", I'm not. I'm just stating that there is no loss of convenience. To get the game, you have to download it from somewhere, so why wouldn't you be online? In what usage scenario would you want to download it but install it later when offline? Backups? Fear of Steam going away? That was a fear in the 2000s when it wasn't obvious if Steam would be around or not, but since they're obviously not going anywhere, I don't think this is a valid fear any more.

Then install your games off of CDROM and DVDROM, like we all did back when XP was relevant, and which delivery mechanism (if they aren't copy-protected) meet your criteria. I'm still not seeing an actual problem here. The only games that are coming out in 2020 that might be compatible with XP are indie games, and you can get those from a variety of places (see below).

Steam is not the only game in town and is not a monopoly. They don't have current most-played multiplayer game in the world (Fortnite), for example; the Epic Game store does. There are other stores that carry exclusives for their publishers too: EA's Origin, Ubisoft’s uPlay, and Blizzard’s Battle.net. There's https://itch.io/ for indie games which is huge. Amazon also sells online games.

CP2077 is a rare beast that 1. comes from a known successful triple-aaa dev team and 2. everyone has been waiting for since 2013. That is going to make money no matter what. It's a lot riskier to release on GOG day 1 for most other devs.

If you want to monitor growth and migration, also keep your eye on the Epic game store: They offer devs/publishers a much higher percentage of the gross sale than Steam does. Outer Worlds released there on purpose, exclusively for the first 6 months (after which it will be available in other places) specifically because they thought they'd net more profit.
    At least you have yourself convinced that Steam is a good thing. As for the Epic Store, seems like pretty thin pickings. You think it's a good thing and I think it's a kludge. Obviously neither one of us is going to give in with regards to Steam. When I buy a W10 compatible game it will most likely be on the back burner, old, but it will be DRM free and I can load anywhere at anytime or loan it out and not have to be one of the family five to play it. As for XP games, since GOG is no longer a supplier, I do buy XP period games off the net or anywhere I can find them. I have a stack of CD games.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

A lot of the modern gaming particulars are still vague to me. The fact that it seems all modern pc games require a monthly service plan has kept me out so far. That and the lack of sufficient hardware . The 2nd requirement can be resolved easily. But I will not pay to play, no way. I should have the option and freedom of playing a game I purchase w/o being connected to anything, with the exception of the wall outlet.

I'm getting nothing done on my old computer projects due to the recent release of a new version of Dwarf Fortress. :3

When CP2077 comes out, it'll be this level of worthless slacking all over again!
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try Muh Crappy YouTube Channel
    Looking to Buy/Trade For: Mac IIci hard drive bracket and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules-compatible card + monochrome monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs
    May Be Interested In Acquiring: 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals

Blog Entries

At least you have yourself convinced that Steam is a good thing
    This is the second time this week I've been accused of thinking a certain way when I directly state the opposite in the previous post I've written.

I don't view Steam as a "good" or "bad" thing, it's just a thing. I have Steam games, I also have 700 boxed computer games from 1982-2004, I also curate an archival effort of over 20,000 games. There's nothing political about this and I'm getting frustrated people are trying to paint me as some sort of zealot.
    Offering a bounty for: