Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumper settings for this MFM controller card?

Default Jumper settings for this MFM controller card?

I recently acquired an MFM HDD and FDD controller card but I can't seem to find any information for it. I tried to hook it up to my working Seagate ST-225 but the computer was not able to see it. I believe the jumpers need to be reset. Anybody has ever seen or used this card before?

IMG_4192.jpg
    IMG_4193.jpg
    IMG_4194.jpg
    IMG_4195.jpg

I'm not sure what that card is. I've never seen one like it, nor can I find any info on it online.

I've never seen an MFM controller like that, kinda cool!

You cannot just "connect" an MFM Hard drive to an 8bit controller card and expect it to work.

the Hard Drive and the controller card are "married" during the low level format. you cannot take a drive and connect it to a different controller without using that controllers LLF procedure.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch...bpd56Xs&t=926s

This video may be a little dry, but ti really helps explain the concepts.

Blog Entries

MSI was an early marketer of Optical (i.e. WORM) storage. This card is probably an interface to an early WORM drive. It doesn't seem to be for ESDI or ST506 interface (no differential drivers or receivers).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    MSI was an early marketer of Optical (i.e. WORM) storage. This card is probably an interface to an early WORM drive. It doesn't seem to be for ESDI or ST506 interface (no differential drivers or receivers).
    Do you mean it shouldn't have differential drivers. There are a pair of DS26LS32CN which are differential receivers
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Do you mean it shouldn't have differential drivers. There are a pair of DS26LS32CN which are differential receivers
    Sorry I should have checked properly DS26LS31CN which is quad driver, DS26LS32CN quad receiver..
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Be very careful attaching an unknown interface card that looks like an MFM/RLL controller to a hard disk - it could always be an ESDI controller which uses the same cables, but is electrically a whole different thing.
    It will probably fry the controller and/or the drive. Find out what it is first.

Try looking for text strings in the ROM. That could reveal what the card actually is for...

Blog Entries

Misread the IC numbers, sorry.

Plug it in and probe for known I/O port numbers. Could also be ESDI--same 34+20 connector setup.

Highly likely to be ESDI, since there is no MFM or RLL data separator on the card.