Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 inch paper tape for ASR Model 33 teletype

Blog Entries

Wondering if dousing the sides of a roll of unoiled tape with WD40 (from the 4l container, not the spray can) would help much, or some other very lightweight oil, and keeping it in a ziplock bag when not in use.

Blog Entries

Why not use ultrapure lamp oil? (triple-filtered paraffin/kerosene). Much cheaper--odorless and used as a lightweight lubricant.

Blog Entries

Thanks all.

There seems to be plenty of 11/16" tape around but 1" seems a little more scarce.

I have my Ebay search alerts set up but if anyone spots some in the meantime (anywhere in the world) please let me know.

regards

I have been clearing all my TTY stuff. No machines left but lots of paper rolls and 11/16" and 1" paper tape.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    I have been clearing all my TTY stuff. No machines left but lots of paper rolls and 11/16" and 1" paper tape.
    PM sent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    but is it the oiled 1" for the ASR33?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

You don't need oiled paper for any punch or reader, unless you are punching and reading CNC part program tapes, the whole reel at a time. Oiled tape is the Mylar stuff, untearable, used to load the same program every day. I still have some Trend 11/16" and 1" paper tape punches and readers, they will happily punch a whole reel of paper tape, again and again. For the amount of use any TTY etc will now get it is a non-problem.

I have found the paper, 24 rolls of 2 part, all sorts of part rolls of single part, 10 1" tape, about 12 11/16" tape, again in some shorter lengths.

Paper £6 roll.
    11/16" tape £6 roll.
    1" tape £10 roll.

Plus post. No paypal, don't deal with crooks, so cheque or bank transfer.

FWIW, a couple of new eBay auctions:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heath-Kit-R...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heath-Kit-b...53.m1438.l2649

These are not mine, I just remembered this topic.

smp

Maybe it is genetic. Computer people don’t like the smell or feel of oiled tape. Teletype and CNC people thrive on machine oil fumes.

When I need (non oiled) paper tape I have a paper company that does “custom rolling and parting” who cuts and rolls paper on to my requested width. The only problem is they roll on a 3” core. End cost is a few $ per roll.
    Retired, but with passion and a sense of urgency.
    Lover of vintage computer hardware. Maybe take a gander at my YouTube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/helloworld0000