Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All about DSKs

Default All about DSKs

I happened to view ngtwolf's response on Al Hartman's thread "Cheapo IDE interface for the Model 4 running LS-DOS" in which he made allusion to converting DSK/DMK file images to floppy disks. Since I have a Model 4 that I acquired less than a month ago I asked what software was used to perform this conversion and how it was executed.

In response ngtwolf pointed me to a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_eW7h07ew in which the author, Adrian, shows how he uses a combination of tools to produce a working Model 4 disk. As often happens, this answered one question and posed several others.

I have hardware similar to that of the author. I am familiar with Dave Dunfield's ImageDisk program, which I have used to image and duplicate floppy disks for use in PCs. Except for DOSBox, however, I really am unfamiliar with emulators, and so am also unfamiliar with the DSK and DMK image formats. But I have already realized, in my short experience with the Model 4, that I will need to learn more about this format.

From Ira G's web site I found a link to Matthew Reed's web site and his emulator http://www.trs-80emulators.com/trsread-trswrite/ and file conversion utilities. Thank you to Matthew for making that available. As of yet I have not located a Model 4 ROM image, which the emulator requires.

Eventually I hope to streamline the process but I am at the "toe" of the learning curve and as of now that's pretty flat. Thanks to all for any suggestions.

-CH-

For the Roms, you can download them here:

https://www.classic-computers.org.nz...re_archive.htm

Heading out so making this quick. Most of the DSK/DMK disks out there don't convert to an IMD properly, so you'll want to use one that will. I'm attaching a 'blank' dmk file that you can use as a disk to copy to.

In order to make IMD disks from DSK/DMK on the internet you'll want to do the following:

1. Install and run TRS32
    2. Mount an LSDos disk in drive 0 and boot to it.
    3. Mount the DSK/DMK you want to copy from in Drive 1
    4. Mount the Blank Disk (I'll attach one with a format IMD can convert) in drive 2
    5. From LSDos, Do a 'DISKCOPY :1 :2
    6. Rename the blank disk to whatever the new disk name is.
    7. From a system that runs IMD, in dos, run 'DMK2IMD <FILE.DSK> /L /UD
    8. Run IMD and set the parameters properly (Single Sided, 40 sectors, etc... basically the stuff in the video).
    9. Write the disk

This is as detailed as I can get right now, let me know if you have issues.

If you want to put CMD and other files on a disk, that's a bit more elaborate but the video should help with that. You can actually use the full trstools in windows which is actually easier then trsread/write to add files to your DSK/DMK file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

My favorite way is using David Kiel’s TRS-80 emulator. It can mount DSK or DMK images, and control real floppy drives. You need a DOS machine that has floppy disks. No need to translate the images to IMD. It can even copy protected images when running the right TRS-80 software

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    For the Roms, you can download them here:

https://www.classic-computers.org.nz...re_archive.htm
    Sorry, update.. those Roms won't help you. The model 3/4/4p roms are in the TRS-80 Dos Emulator for the Model 3/4 (TRS80-62) found here:

http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchive...t.net/~dmkeil/

Incidentally, this is the same dos emulator that lafos mentioned.
    Last edited by ngtwolf; February 13th, 2020 at 12:47 AM.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    My favorite way is using David Kiel’s TRS-80 emulator. It can mount DSK or DMK images, and control real floppy drives. You need a DOS machine that has floppy disks. No need to translate the images to IMD. It can even copy protected images when running the right TRS-80 software
    Yes, thanks for your suggestion: I found David Keil's emulator while searching for ROM images and downloaded both. What an accomplishment - we stand on the shoulders of giants.

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Sorry, update.. those Roms won't help you. The model 3/4/4p roms are in the TRS-80 Dos Emulator for the Model 3/4 (TRS80-62) found here:

http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchive...t.net/~dmkeil/

Incidentally, this is the same dos emulator that lafos mentioned.
    I found the ROMs, thanks. Three to-do items: Go back and reread Dunfield's IMD documentation; it's been years since I last read it and I obviously skipped what I didn't think I needed. Watch the U_TUBE video again for the fine points of his technique. Find out where the ROM is located in the Model 4 and how to extract it.

In the last year I have learned a lot about the TRS universe; the most surprising thing has been how much more there is to learn. Thanks to all for their suggestions.

-CH-

The Keil emulator procedure works fine- done it many times. It is a little confusing at first using the "files" that point to a real disk drive, but once you get over that oddity, it works fine. You can even unthrottle the emulator and the process goes a lot faster and still works.

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    The Keil emulator procedure works fine- done it many times. It is a little confusing at first using the "files" that point to a real disk drive, but once you get over that oddity, it works fine. You can even unthrottle the emulator and the process goes a lot faster and still works.
    I obtained Matthew Reed's emulator http://www.trs-80emulators.com/ for DOS and installed it on my DOS machine, a '386 with floppy drives and HD. I also transferred a ROM image obtained from David Keil's package. I read about a technique to obtain a copy directly from the M4 (using BASIC) but I did not need to do so. Along with these items I copied two .DSK files: the blank.dsk ngtwolf provided and a copy of LD4-631.dsk downloaded from the Internet.

The emulator started right up and prompted me to assign a disk to one of the (virtual) drives. I pointed :0 to the LD4-631.dsk and rebooted the virtual machine, and soon had LS-DOS running as the OS.

That's as far as I have progressed, but I can see there is a path from here to the Model 4. Thanks to all for their contributions.

-CH-

EMUL8R.jpg

With a working emulator I next tried booting from some other DSK files I had downloaded from various repositories. I knew already that my Model 4 could boot Montezuma Micro CP/M so I tried that as a boot disk in the emulator. Although the boot emulator had been booting successfully with LS-DOS 6.3.1 it refused to even consider booting from MMCPM; that is to say it would list the file as available but as soon as I selected it for mounting it would vanish from assignment. I tried a few other DSK files and found that some could be designated for boot but none would actually boot.

I took a look at the two files, ld4-631.dsk and MMCPM232.DSK, one of which booted and one would not, with a HEX editor. I wanted to see if they differed in some way. They are completely different, as you can see from the attached images. There must be more than one format for a DSK file.

Is there a way to tell what this "alien" format represents or is intended to work with? Or is it just a corrupt file?

-CH-

EXA.jpg ExB.jpg

I've had a look at the two images, and they could be different in structure, but not THAT different. But, if one loads, and the other does not, then I'll accept that they are too different.

However, be advised, if you are trying two different formats of .DSK file, then there is a third type that is REALLY different. The Amstrad CPC (and PCW machines) makes use of it's own .DSK format, at least this format includes a header which specifically refers, in ASCII text, to CPC EMU or CPC EMU EXTENDED, so you can see immed what it is.

Geoff
    Vintage Devices: Epson HX-20/TF-20, Amstrad PCW 8256 (with extras), 386 and 486 PCs with 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives, Pentium 75 with Roland LAPC-I midi card