Image Map Image Map

Thread: Graphics Standards

Default Graphics Standards

What was the latest CRT graphics standard before CRT got fully phased out and LCDs took over?

There aren't really CRT- or LCD-specific standards. Stick some letters in front of "VGA", and it'll be one of those, depending on when exactly you think that transition occurred.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grap...lay_resolution

The last common CRT monitors I'm personally familiar with were 1280x1024, but I know that HD resolution CRTs (1920x1080) do exist.

Blog Entries

My last new CRT was a Sony 420GS and that did 1600x1200 @75hz (native resolution meaning max it was made to do). There were others after that like the Sony GDM FW900 CRT with a native 2304 x 1440 @ 80hz used mostly for video editing and does not have a name.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Twenty-five years ago I bought my first PC, which had a Pentium processor and a seventeen inch CRT display that could do 1600 by 1200. That PC has now gone but I am still using the CRT display although not at that resolution as my eyesight isn't that good any more. I use it with a newer PC that runs Windows ME with Win-98 and Linux as hidden alternatives. I still use that machine because it can support software and peripherals that my later machines can't, such as my SCSI scanner. As long as hardware keeps working there's no reason to junk it ... but isn't that why this site exists, for people who never consider any technology to be "fully phased out" until it is totally extinct without any hope of resurrection?
    Rob - http://www.honeypi.org.uk
    The Internet is a winch to get your project off the ground ... but always have a parachute handy.

Quote Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
    There aren't really CRT- or LCD-specific standards. Stick some letters in front of "VGA", and it'll be one of those, depending on when exactly you think that transition occurred.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grap...lay_resolution

The last common CRT monitors I'm personally familiar with were 1280x1024, but I know that HD resolution CRTs (1920x1080) do exist.
    Do you know the exact model name and numbers for these?

I still have an NEC MultiSync FP950 19-inch flat screen CRT monitor, which is the last CRT monitor I bought. That must have been at least 15 years ago, and probably cost a few hundred dollars at the time. Even though it is a pain to move it around and set it up with its 60 pound weight I still keep it around because it's the best CRT monitor I've ever owned and will sync to almost anything I want to use except the really old below 31kHz horizontal stuff.

Back when I used it as my main monitor I think I mostly ran it at 1600x1200, although the manual says it will go up to 1920x1440 @ 55 to 73Hz.