Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transfer files from a REAL PDP8E and SIMh

Default Transfer files from a REAL PDP8E and SIMh

I've done this in the past, but can not remember how I did it and I can't find anything about this in my notes. I'm relearning Fortran IV programming. When I'm home I use my real PDP8e and when away I use the SIMh. When the programs are short, I can retype them into SIMh, but some are getting long and I really don't want to retype them, or add the additions. I'm looking at text files, *.FT. Thanks Mike

Hey Mike...

Can you just remind me - you are using OS/8 right? Just need to ask, because I have been playing with other PDP-8 operating systems as of late and I would hate to confuse you...

Dave

Presumably, what you want to do is to transfer the file from your real PDP-8 out of the serial port as though it is a PUNCH and to capture the file on a PC via the serial port. You should be able to do that with PIP and a serial capture program that transfers 8-bit characters in RAW mode to a file on the PC.

Next, you would want to attach this file just read to SIMH's paper tape reader and load it into SIMH running OS/8 using PIP again.

The process should work 'backwards' in that you attach a 'blank' file to what SIMH thinks is the PUNCH device and PIP the file out from the file on OS/8 to the PUNCH.

Then, take this file and copy it to the PC serial port with the real PDP-8 setup to read a file from the READER to a disk file using PIP.

Does this sound familiar?

There is also a way to connect a serial port in SIMH (PUNCH and READER) up to a physical serial port on the PDP-8. I haven't done it myself, but I have heard of it being done.

Dave

Forgive me, a little more (maybe a lot) information is needed. I'm running OS/8 and have one of Kyle's Raspberry PI's emulating an RK05 disk. I can communicate with the Rasp Pi, I think I used PUTTY. Mike

Thanks Mike. So what I have just written in post #3 is not relevant...

Dave

Hello,

in Simh you may use pip to cut and paste from your host:

.R PIP
    *FILE.FT<TTY:

at the end type ^Z.
    This will work fine with simh, but not with the real pdp8. Its to fast for pip. I would prefer Kermit to transport files between your host and the pdp8/e. Start kermit on your host (install ckermit for linux) and K12MIT.SV in your OS/8.

But in case you have the RTS modification on your serial card, you can also send files with gtty to a pip in the OS/8.

Volker

So, this may seem a bit simple, but why don't you just copy the entire RK05 emulated disk between the PI and your PC running SIMH and OS/8? and copy it back again?

Or run SIMH on the PI using the very same RK05 image(s)? No copying required.

Dave

...or you could use OS8-cp to copy direct to the rk05 image for the os8diskserver. (look here: https://tangentsoft.com/pidp8i/forumpost/4e1b195118)

Volker

Thanks for the help, I have to take the wife to the store. I'll try this later. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    So, this may seem a bit simple, but why don't you just copy the entire RK05 emulated disk between the PI and your PC running SIMH and OS/8? and copy it back again?

Or run SIMH on the PI using the very same RK05 image(s)? No copying required.

Dave
    Uh... And for the real PDP-8?