Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transfer files from a REAL PDP8E and SIMh

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Z View Post
    Thanks for the help, I have to take the wife to the store. I'll try this later. Mike
    If you ask me, the only sane answer is Kermit. Kermit-8 or Kermit-12 on the PDP-8 side, and whatever you want for Kermit on the other side. Or directly between the two machines using Kermit.

Direct copying have serious risks of dropping characters (no matter if you use cut-n-paste in some window, or just PIP, or some other hairy scheme). Using something like a fake paper punch and reader is obviously not really an answer for a real PDP-8. Whole disk images is equally much not an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by bqt View Post
    Uh... And for the real PDP-8?
    >>> I'm running OS/8 and have one of Kyle's Raspberry PI's emulating an RK05 disk.

But Mike is using is using Kyle's serial server, so there is no physical RK05 disk drive on the real PDP-8 - it is emulated on a RPi over a second serial line.

This is why I refer to it as an 'emulated' disk...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    >>> I'm running OS/8 and have one of Kyle's Raspberry PI's emulating an RK05 disk.

But Mike is using is using Kyle's serial server, so there is no physical RK05 disk drive on the real PDP-8 - it is emulated on a RPi over a second serial line.

This is why I refer to it as an 'emulated' disk...

Dave
    My bad then. Sorry.

No problem.

Dave

Well.... Today I found that I can use WinSCP to get into the Raspberry PI and transfer files from the PI to my windows machine. I found the disk images I have in the PI, but am not sure which one the SerialDisk is using. If I can find the correct one, I'm sure I can load it into Simh. Need some more time to work on this. Thanks Mike

Doesn't SerialDisk tell you which disk file(s) it is using when it starts up?

Look for the command line to SerialDisk and the filenames to the arguments -1 and -2.

Also look for the presence of a disk.cfg file.

Dave

You are correct, but for some reason I can not make them work in Simh. I place that image in the correct place and change the .ini file and Simh will load but I will not get the dot prompt. Mike

Now you have said that, the RK05 image (first block) has been 'modified' to work with the second serial port - as has the internal driver(s).

This may not be as simple as first thought...

Thinking now about a separate (unadulterated) OS/8 RK05 disk image for use with SIMH and using PUTR to transfer files from one RK05 image to the other...

Dave

Are you thinking that since the PDP8E handlers were changed to work with SerialDisk, my image will not work with simH? Mike

Thatís exactly what I am thinking Mike.

The handler(s) will use the IOTs for the second serial port when running on SIMH and not the IOTs for the RK05 disk controller.

I understand from posts that it IS possible to connect SIMH to SerialServer (so you should be able to do what you want to), but I have never done it.

Dave