Image Map Image Map

Thread: Using IMAGEDISK to write 8" floppies.

Default Using IMAGEDISK to write 8" floppies.

Using IMAGEDISK to write 8" floppies.
    I've got an Imagedisk system that works with 5.25" disks.
    Now I'm trying to get 8" working using a SHUGART SA801 drive and the DBIT converter.
    The drive selects on Format but errors "No Interrupt from FDC".
    The head never moves.
    I suspect this is some sort of drive ready issue.
    I AM getting index pulses at TP 12.
    Tried lots of jumper positions but is anyone using an 8" shugart with Imagedisk and can confirm?

Blog Entries

I use both Siemens and Qume drives. They work fine. The Siemens is essentially a clone of the Shugart.

Let's see your jumpers.

I have 2 NEC 1165 runing well with an adaptec 1522A on my old PC.

I had to replace the pullup resistors 150R with 300R. With the 150R I got unwanted lose of head loads.

I've used the SA851 with the DBIT adapter connected to an Adaptec AHA-1522F (installed into an IBM PC/AT) as it is the only controller I've found which consistently works across all densities and bit rates (it passes the ImageDisk controller test). I would have to pull the drives to look at jumpers, but IIRC I used the default jumper configuration for the Tarbell DD controller (which is where they connect when not being used for imaging).

Blog Entries

What drive select are you using? I'm not familiar with the dbit adapter, but it may require that you use the second drive select rather than the first.

When imagedisk says "No Interrupt from FDC" typically it means it is not seeing an index pulse. Of course, if the drive is not really becoming selected and ready, then the drive may not output anything.

Blog Entries

Just so--forget looking for an index pulse on a test point--see what it is on the drive connector when (you think) the drive is selected.

Make sure you're using single-sided media. The index hole is in a different place on double-sided 8" media and will result in no index pulse and the "No interrupt from FDC" message in ImageDisk. Your SA-801 is single-sided.

If you only have double-sided media, you can just punch the hole in the correct place, the media is the same, unlike the issues with DD and HD media on 5.25" and 3.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    What drive select are you using? I'm not familiar with the dbit adapter, but it may require that you use the second drive select rather than the first.
    It'll work with either, I use a FDADAP with my imaging machine, and often run dual drives. Do plug the FDADAP into the non-twist (B: drive) plug on the 34-pin floppy cable, and use the 8" drive select jumpers, just like you would in a vintage system.