Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: do you pick up pc's on the road?

Finding desktops on the curb is not as common as it used to be in my area. It seems like the people that still use desktops dispose of them through donation centers or e-waste recyclers nowadays. Most of what I have found ranges from Pentium II to Core 2 Duo/Mac Pro era machines. I think the most interesting desktop I found was an iMac G3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windows2000 View Post
    Finding desktops on the curb is not as common as it used to be in my area. It seems like the people that still use desktops dispose of them through donation centers or e-waste recyclers nowadays. Most of what I have found ranges from Pentium II to Core 2 Duo/Mac Pro era machines. I think the most interesting desktop I found was an iMac G3.
    Lucky you, I wouldn't mind a local free Mac Pro. Recyclers actively advertise for ewaste so getting rid of things is pretty easy. Most towns probably have an ewaste drop of center to make life easy.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Score. Asus works. No h/d though. I have small lt drives I could install.

Now that I actually have an lga775 mobo that is purported to take xeons w/a mod, I have to give it a go. That's provided the microcode is available. And need to find a chip that this board can handle in terms of tdp.

The fastest lga775 is the qx9650. Is special microcode or a mothetboard required to support that? In general can modded 775 mothetboards do any betyer with xeons? Once you plop a xeon into such a mobo, do you then require fully buffered dimms?

Blog Entries

Intel didn't take the memory controller off the motherboard until Nehalem (the very forst Core i3/i5/i7 processors) so whatever the board takes for memory doesn't change if you hack a xeon into it.

Old XEONs suck up power so you have that to consider when doing hacks like that.

Whoever made your motherboard has a list of supported chips and what revision BIOS supports what.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

This mobo is a p5ql-m. I haven't seen specific mention of it on the Asus site. P5ql is atx, mine is uatx (presumably).

And what do you know the 2nd 2gb stick also seems to work. Was bouncing around inside the case.

M$ won't let me download a 7 home premium image. I double checked the key and it's fine.

Nifty little unit. Everything seems industry standard. I could gut it presumably and recycle the case even.

I found my tall can of krylon boysenberry. I am tempted ... I have a lot of colors now though.0

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    The fastest lga775 is the qx9650. Is special microcode or a mothetboard required to support that?
    You'll need a late LGA775 board to run one with a P35 or P45 chipset that supports a 1333 MHz FSB. You'll also want a board with good power delivery because that chip can pull up to 160W under normal conditions and more overclocked.

In general can modded 775 mothetboards do any betyer with xeons?
    The only thing Xeons will get you is a higher FSB (1600 MHz) and a higher clock (up to 3400 MHz) but consumer boards were not designed with Xeon support in mind and most don't have the microcode entries in the BIOS to run such CPUs. There have been extensive threads on other forums where people have tried to find the LGA775 board with the most compatibility with Xeon CPUs, but it's really more effort than it's worth. Another thing you have to take into account is the increased power consumption and heat output, some of the faster Xeons have a TDP officially of 150W, but in reality can draw over 200W. That coupled with the 1600 MHz FSB and you risk burning boards out with inadequate voltage regulation circuitry.

While the QX9650 is still an expensive CPU, there are newer generations of CPUs with better performance out of the box that don't require experimental mods to make work that are of a reasonable cost. Back when all of the research was being done on the LGA 771 to 775 mod, it made a lot of sense because the market was flooded with cheap Xeon CPUs and Core 2 Quads were still very expensive and still relevant. Today, not so much.

I think I was mistaken and this board's chipset is p43. That said maybe I can't run the fastest core 2 quad, but why should I anyway. A c2q would be likeable. Assuming I get a legitimate 7 install going, I'll contemplate a cpu upgrade. If I spend 25$ it'll be my limit. I'm currently more torn over what color to paint it.

I do have an x5335 or some such already modded. But if this is the same chipset as my HP dc7600, I'm out of luck.

Ok hp uses 945g express chipset. I was confusing the 2 I guess. Pretty powerful (it's all relative) xeons are pretty cheap. I would imagine as common a board as this would take such an upgrade readily. But that's assuming I have a clue about anything. And this mobo, although carrying the p5ql designation may be specific to this pc and not as many ammenities as the standalone version.
    Last edited by tipc; February 20th, 2020 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    While the QX9650 is still an expensive CPU, there are newer generations of CPUs with better performance out of the box that don't require experimental mods to make work that are of a reasonable cost.
    That are compatible with this socket? I'm confused do you just mean slower core 2 quad chips?

And strangely this thing uses ddr3.

That are compatible with this socket? I'm confused do you just mean slower core 2 quad chips?

And strangely this thing uses ddr3.
    No, I'm talking about newer generation CPUs and boards. The QX9650 is the last official CPU for LGA 775.

I was suggesting not wasting money on a long dead platform if you're looking to get more performance out of a daily driver. If you're just faffing about with old hardware, and don't minding spending money, then experiment away.