Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: ISA SCSI adapter for 8-bit, bootable

Blog Entries

Only mention the bit about the Trantors, because the fairly common PROM-less T13B was sold with CD ROM drives. My blog on cloning PALs contains the equations for the missing PAL (socketed, BTW). Burn a GAL16V8 and add the boot PROM and you're in business.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Only mention the bit about the Trantors, because the fairly common PROM-less T13B was sold with CD ROM drives. My blog on cloning PALs contains the equations for the missing PAL (socketed, BTW). Burn a GAL16V8 and add the boot PROM and you're in business.
    I'll try and haul them down tomorrow if the snow isn't flying. The Trantor that I first bought has the BIOS chip. The second one was given to me at about the same time by a friend you couldn't seem to get his Trantor to boot, although he could access the SCSI HD and it came with software. That was 15-18 years ago, and I use my Trantor exclusively on the 1000SX as a means of retiring my ST-225.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Both of the Trantors are 8-bit SCSI. One has an onboard BOS and the other does not. I'll have to pull them down from the loft for further inspection.
    If you're willing to let go of one of your Trantors, I'm your man

I'll gladly get the PROM-less one, if it's a T13B and do the rest myself (as suggested by Chuck(G)).

I think I have a Seagate card somewhere. Are they "universal" or just for certain Seagate drives?

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_5 View Post
    I think I have a Seagate card somewhere. Are they "universal" or just for certain Seagate drives?
    AFAIK they should be universal. Definitely interested since I'm in Europe too!

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_5 View Post
    Make that two actually...

ST01.jpg

Blog Entries

With the appropriate BIOS upgrade, should work on most smaller SCSI drives. ISTR something about adding a pullup resistor on one of these things, but my memory is a bit sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    With the appropriate BIOS upgrade, should work on most smaller SCSI drives. ISTR something about adding a pullup resistor on one of these things, but my memory is a bit sketchy.
    Does anybody remember the details?

I tested the cards with the only 50-pin drive I could find that spun up, when I applied power... That happened to be a 40MB Quantum/Apple drive. The drive was detected, and I was prompted to format the drive. But when I answered yes, I was told that unit 0 was not present (the drive was set to ID 0). The only difference I noticed between BIOS 3.0 and 3.3.2, was that 3.3.2 supports units 0-6, and not just 0-1. I'll go looking for a different drive for testing...