Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: PC case rust repair

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I haven't a clue what relevance that reply has. People "upgrade" their old pc's with modern alternatives because the old standby's don't stand by them anymore.

But if you're so disinterested in old computers and their car and feeding, why do you spend so much time here?? You have to be aware by now a lot of people take this hobby somewhat seriously.

Blog Entries

A fair point. Strictly speaking, it's not a hobby. So I'm very pragmatic about my equipment. Cosmetics mean little to me.

Blog Entries

There will never be consensus about cosmetics. I cut a hole in my case in the 80s to fit a floppy drive and a better speaker, because the system was used for practical things and I was trying to make it more practical. 30 years later, I'd be labeled a monster by some people if I did that again.

These days, vintage computer hobbyists fall into all sorts of camps: Mod like crazy; return to factory appearance; leave them yellowed (It's patina! It's provenance!); etc. There's no one correct way to "do" this hobby.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Both my 5170-clone cases have the lower part of the drive bezel cut out so I could fit 3 floppy drives. It works. Plugged the side holes in the bezel with bondo and repainted.

Blog Entries

The big difference is between people who still have a use for the machine compared to those who barely use it or keep it as a static display and of course those who want to flip it.

Many of the classic machines were kind of useless as purchased from the factory and needed upgrades that were available at the time while some people like modern additions. I mean the original 64k IBM 5150 with tape interface was pretty much useless, same with the original low RAM Mac. Not sure the Amiga 1000 with 256K was all that useful either. I had to make do for a few weeks using a C64 with tape drive until I got my 1541 drives making life much easier.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I hacked my Rev A 5150 with a mezzanine card (plugged into the RAM array) to upgrade the planar to 256KB. Trace cuts and jumper wires...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Bakelite is very durable. Too bad that it wasn't used for 80's computer cases.
    yeah bakelite is good stuff, pity it fell out of favor

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    yeah bakelite is good stuff, pity it fell out of favor
    At least all the stuff i have made from bakelite is EXTREMELY fragile in it's old age.

Reminds me i need to dig out that old victor radio and figure out what tube needs replacing.

Blog Entries

Do you have PVC or ABS stuff of an equal age? I suspect that it's just as fragile. Even die-cast zamac can get fragile after 100 years.

I guess it depends on formulation. My home has electrical boxes made of Bakelite and they show no signs of fragility.

Make it all out of steel, brass or aluminum.

Blog Entries

You can only do so much out of metal in computer cases, and plastic saves weight and cost. Most metals rust, plastics degrade, so unless you want to make stuff out of gold and diamonds you have to deal with things falling apart in 50+ years.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems