Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PC case rust repair

Default PC case rust repair

So recently I picked up a leading edge Model D that had been dumped off at a recycling center.

As you can see the machine was in very sorry shape. I was able to get it completely functional hardware wise, but I really wanted to do something about the case.

So I ground down the rusted areas with a 3M roloc disc on an air die grinder, there was actually alot of small bubbles that hid large rust patches underneath the paint.

I used this Product to neutralize any of the rust that remained. It's basically just phosphoric acid & isopropyl alcohol. The phosphoric acid turns the Iron oxide to iron phosphate (black shale like) and stops it from spreading. I didn't wanna have it bubbling up again.

and this is the somewhat finished product after a few coats of Rustolium 2X ivory Bisque spray paint. looks pretty good IMO.

now the question is whether or not I want to attempt to retr0brite the front bezel & keyboard. I'm going to leave it until the weather warms up at the very least (-20c here with 2feet of snow) so not ideal weather for retr0briting outside. But even then , not sure if i'm going to bother. The yellowing sorta gives this machine an aged charm. so I'm on the fence.

(I didn't paint the black bezel in this photo i actually found a beige bezel that matched the floppy drive better.

Blog Entries

You may just want to repaint the bezel in a water-based acrylic paint. That will seal it and help retard further degradation. Just mask off the badge.

Nice work on the cover. Personally, I'd just leave the bezels. In certain cases, retr0bright lost it's effectiveness in a rather short time (or you could paint those as well---as suggested above):

https://www.classic-computers.org.nz...-temporary.htm

Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    Nice work on the cover. Personally, I'd just leave the bezels. In certain cases, retr0bright lost it's effectiveness in a rather short time (or you could paint those as well---as suggested above):

https://www.classic-computers.org.nz...-temporary.htm
    Possibly could lose luster over time but not always. Seems to depend on the type of plastic. Honestly the front bezel is a small piece and would be easy to retrobright. I just bought a lamp to build my 3rd indoor retrobright cabinet. Its pretty easy at this point.

I've never Attempted to retr0brite anything before, and I have many "ripe" yellow computers lol

My concern was with the keyboard. I could paint the front of the case, but then they keyboard wouldn't match.

I really really don't like painting keyboards or game controllers. anything that your hands touch i've found paint does not react very well. The paint softens up and smudges in my experience. So I want to avoid even painting the keyboard bezel.

I don't mind the yellow, and I feel i'll probably leave it that way for now, and maybe in the summertime i'll experiment with the front bezel of the computer if i'm feeling adventurous

Blog Entries

You did see the notice by the museum conservators rejecting the Retr0brite treatment--it apparently cause small cracks in the plastic surface. But hey, a Model D isn't as rare as a 2 cent Inverted Jenny...

On the other hand, a museum conservator is more interested in appearance, rather than actually trying to use the thing.

Paint resists handling very well, if it's the right type. Witness my F85:

That's paint over high-density polyurethane foam.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

If there's cracking perhaps they could be sealed up with the application of heat? Or a solvent dabbed on?

You can leave things out in the sun and rain to alleviate yellowing.

Repainting metal is easy. It's obtaining the gritty texture that's currently a mystery to me.

3rs edit. Maybe multiple gentler applications of retrobrite may rest in less or no cracking. A weaker solution iow.
    Last edited by tipc; February 16th, 2020 at 01:12 PM.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I want that Poppy.

Blog Entries

It's not a Poppy.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    If there's cracking perhaps they could be sealed up with the application of heat? Or a solvent dabbed on?

You can leave things out in the sun and rain to alleviate yellowing.

Repainting metal is easy. It's obtaining the gritty texture that's currently a mystery to me.

3rs edit. Maybe multiple gentler applications of retrobrite may rest in less or no cracking. A weaker solution iow.
    There need to be more 3d imaging devices that can render these things into appropriate files for 3d printing... Retrobrite... not to retrobrite.. it doesnt matter they are at end of life.. decay is already set in.