Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PC case rust repair

Blog Entries

@tipc, how about some results of your own to back your statements up?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Most pc bezels, monitor casings etc. are thermoplastics afaik and hence they can be remelted or molded.
    Pretty sure thermoset plastics are used for computer cases because of its rigidity. The more flexible parts are probably thermoplastics.

Its not like thermoplastics that turned out a little off are just tossed back in the hopper to be reshot. Have you ever seen a factory making plastic parts? The plastics come in huge bags of pellets connected with hoses and are fed straight into a machine that applies pressure and heat to squirt it into a mold. Recycled plastics tend to be used as filler for stuff like benches where visible imperfections don't matter and even then it is a small percentage of the plastic used in the product.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

There's also the matter of filler in ABS and the like used for casework. Can be just pigment or even silica. No guarantee on getting that right on recycled stuff.

Modern high-impact stuff uses glass fiber as filler. Actually increases the strength of the result tremendously.

Blog Entries

Plastics are still kind of an art form as far as engineering goes, much different then when I went to school 30 years ago.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Bakelite is very durable. Too bad that it wasn't used for 80's computer cases.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Where are the 3D printer enthusiasts?
    We are here. I've done the model for a PDP-11/03 switch bezel and paddle switch, on Thingiverse. I have a few other unfinished DEC panels in the works.
    If I had a need to do an IBM PC (or clone) fascia panel I would, they look very straightforward without compound curves such as the /03 bezel.
    The printed results just aren't as nice as an original panel - not off a consumer FDM printer, anyway - but satisfy the six-foot rule and are good enough until an original is found.

Blog Entries

The newly-affordable resin printers have an astonishing resolution; for small parts, I have hope. For larger parts, the filament-style printers are still too course IMO.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

How did you repair the defect in the top of the case? Bondo? Or something else? Or is there dips and craters where you took off the original paint when you de-rsuted?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    How did you repair the defect in the top of the case? Bondo? Or something else? Or is there dips and craters where you took off the original paint when you de-rsuted?
    automotive filler or "high build" primer. the paint was so thin anyways it didn't take much to bring it level.

I guess I also should add I intentionally let the paint "orange peel" to try and match the original sorta textured finish. I am please to report that experiment was a success. It looks very uniform in person and matches the original texture very well.