Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PC case rust repair

Nice job.
    About the plastic, I put them in water with 4 liquid onces of bleach for 4 hours.
    For me have worked nice.
    They come back nice after a good rinse with tap water.
    Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by rafanaty View Post
    Nice job.
    About the plastic, I put them in water with 4 liquid onces of bleach for 4 hours.
    For me have worked nice.
    They come back nice after a good rinse with tap water.
    Ralph.
    I bleached a computer case once. IT was "clean" and bright enough, but it has a very very light pastel orange quality to it that just seemed off. Heat was used with the process, and to be honest the smell of the bleach and the heat... I just knew I was shortening that plastics life dramatically. I will stick to retrobrighting.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    @tipc, how about some results of your own to back your statements up?
    Ok well got around to testing my guess. Of the 4 pieces I tested, by touching an extra large hot soldering iron to the plastic, the case bezel from a Victor VPC-II, the case bezel of a Texas Instrumrnts Professional Computer, the case bezel of a Mindset, and the monitor bezel of an HP 98789a, all 4 were clearly thermoplastics. O wait I did try a 5th thing, a large IBM plotter, and that was the sole exception.

Blog Entries

I think we really want to see the result of you repairing the case by reusing the material. That ABS is a themoplastic isn't in doubt--it's the most common mixture for stuff like cases.

The point was if you have a case made of thermoplastic it can be melded/mended. I didn't say I had demonstrable experience. It just stands to reason that small flaws are conceivably repairable. Sometimes all plastic needs is a conditioner as they can dry out like anything else.

Blog Entries

Just my point--but that isn't going to fix surface damage done by overdoing the Retr0brite treatment, which was the point in all of this.

When dealing with ABS that's cracked, I prefer to use a solvent cement. I've pieced together drive bezels that have fractured into very small pieces.

On the other hand, I've got a 1/2" tape drive whose faceplate is hopeless--it simply will not stand up under any sort of load. Given the size, I may fashion something from acrylic sheet or just junk the thing for parts--the chassis is also plastic.

What isn't going to fix it? Reconditioning the plastic then applying heat or solvents to seal little cracks? Have you tried it?

Blog Entries

Nope--if I want to seal something, I have absolutely no compunction about painting it. That, at least will look great for a very long time.

I use the stuff; I don't care how it looks.

Well your method hasn't gained any traction. People prefer to rehabilitate their stuff when possible. And as Ive already said, no one has a solid grip on what's really going on, because if a warm coffee mug can temporarily remedy yellowing, an acceptable solution is yet to be found. But iy doesn't hurt to suggest some solutions for the solutions. Until an alternative is found.

Blog Entries

Rehabilitate? As in substituting a CF card and controller for the original ST506 drive and controller? Or employing a Gotek emulator instead of a real floppy drive? How is that rehabilitating?

The difference is that I actually use the stuff for something besides playing games. If I could get rid of it and do the same thing with more modern hardware, I would.