Image Map Image Map

Thread: Modding the C2N datasette for audio input with an RCA JAck

Default Modding the C2N datasette for audio input with an RCA JAck

Ok so Adrian Black keeps eluding to making a video on how to mod your C2N with an RCA audio jack to accept audio input to load programs directly through your datasette itself but hasn't made the video yet. The videos I do find are just showing off the mod. The sites I find explaining the Mod are all over the place.

I want to try this out on one of my many Datasettes.. Maybe even the one on my PET 2001-8. Does anyone actually have good documentation on how to do this and the BOM of parts needed? I have gathered from the few sites I read that there are several renditions of the C2N so solder points can be different.

Anyone here done the mod?

Really? No interested in this? I'm surprised.

I don’t want spoilers for when the video comes out.

Just kidding.

I wonder if one of those cassette adapters people used to use in their cars when portable CD players came out would work in a datasette, instead of adding the RCA jack.

I wonder that as well.

I see no reason one needs to trace too much to see where the signals go. It will amplify the tape signal and someplace turn it into digital tones. that should be easy enough to trace. If the circuit uses + voltage above ground it will likely use NPN transistors. If it is a - rail, it is likely using PNP germanium transistors ( lower noise for audio ). One could put a recorded tape in and look with a scope on the various collectors.
    Dwight
    Last edited by Dwight Elvey; February 18th, 2020 at 07:16 AM.