Image Map Image Map

Thread: anyone using a mining motherboard as a standard desktop

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default anyone using a mining motherboard as a standard desktop

To some it sounds lamo I know. 40$ shipped for an lga1151 mobo seemed too good to pass up. Granted you can get a low end Asus board for 60$ shipped at times. But mine all works. Very minimally configured, as if I was intending to mine. This is an Asus b250 mining expert - 19 pci-e slots! - and the b250 chipset is classified as a business chipset (I guess that means not specifically for gaming, no overclocking, etc.). It has all the basic amenities though. I just may wind up selling the whole mobo kit, everything was nib. After I'm done playing with it a tad.

Blog Entries

With the amount of older OEM systems selling for peanuts these days with decent i5/i7 processors why would you bother with a mining rig for a desktop?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

It's a bog standard atx lga1151 motherboard. This isn't a rig. I was wondering what I might be missing by not utilizing a more mainstream desktop mobo.

If by cheap pre built (new?) pc's my HP Prodesk qualifies, i5-4590, 16gb ddr3, which I kind of want to hold onto, because I like it, but if you go to the trouble of installing Windows 10, it could be worth 3+ times what I paid. So I just may sell it. And what an oen pc has to do with building your own pc, I don't know. I'm always looking to learn something new. Also have an lga2066 xeon on the way, got what may turn out to be a truly amazing deal, which is why I ordered it through Aliexpress. A lot of stuff passes through my hands, and I'd be happy with only the Prodesk, but as I said nothing much to be learned about newer hardware by limiting myself to that.

Blog Entries

I note that a mining motherboard locally has been available for the asking price of $20. It's a Biostar TB250-BTC board--even at $20, it's no deal, as it retailed for much less than $100.

Blog Entries

Well it sounded like you were looking to build a desktop PC for main use so I suggested finding a dirt cheap older i5/i7 OEM machine and just use that. A while back I picked up a couple Lenovo towers one with an i7-3770 and the other with an i5 4570 for $20 for both (they just needed HDs and a little dusting). Either one would probably be a better choice for a main machine then the current dual Opteron 2427's I have on a E-ATX server board which does have a couple full 16x PCIE slots. The funny thing is the guy I snagged the Lenovo towers from tends to get older gear which is what I was interested in in the first place, like the HP P4 tower I wanted to make into another over powered Win98/ME machine.

What is there to learn from a mining rig setup? All they do is see how many PCIE 4x slots they can stuff into a system to mine bitcoins. At least with a high end servers they concentrate on memory bandwidth, multi core and multi CPU processors above the normal ones found in cheap desktops, and tons of SATA ports so they make OK desktops if they have full PCIE slots for a decent GPU.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I note that a mining motherboard locally has been available for the asking price of $20. It's a Biostar TB250-BTC board--even at $20, it's no deal, as it retailed for much less than $100.
    Does it have 19 pci-e slots? Nooooo ..