Image Map Image Map

Thread: Gateway 2000 info

Default Gateway 2000 info

I've had a older Gateway 2000 tower sitting for a while now, but I'd like some advice/info if available. This one features a Micronics standard 486 motherboard I believe (486dx-33), and the Varta battery needs to be replaced - especially since it's leaking. Best method for battery replacement? Hopefully there isn't much corrosion though. I've only powered it on a couple times in the meantime, but battery repair needed before I decide what to do next (refurbish or just sell).

Are these particular computers relatively rare? It seems to have a earlier motherboard than the more advanced Gateway's, but some components may be from mid '90s. Other issues exist of course, such as disc drive which forced the tray completely out as motor spun...

Hey,

System is not particularly rare. They do have their fans so it really comes down to condition. As for battery there should be a battery header you can use for an external battery pack. I would get rid of the varta battery as soo nas you can and do a good wash with water/alcohol to make sure you get all the acid out.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    I would get rid of the varta battery as soo nas you can and do a good wash with water/alcohol to make sure you get all the acid out.
    No... wash it with vinegar (acid). That battery leakage is basic, not acidic.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    No... wash it with vinegar (acid). That battery leakage is basic, not acidic.
    Isn't that waht I meant to say
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
    Are these particular computers relatively rare?
    No. There were thousands of them sold in the early 90's (which is probably a good thing as far as getting one going again with other parts). Slap a new CD drive in it and stick the largest HDD and most RAM in it that it'll support and maybe a modest (dx2-66) CPU upgrade and slap some DOS games on that puppy and enjoy...

I'm sure that there were plenty of them produced, and i486 PCs in general too. I was unable to find many photos of my exact case though. My images were lost, so none to show currently. I'll have to check again for a battery header, but I have no original manual.

Blog Entries

Gateway2000 sold a ton of machines in the 386/486/Pentium era but not that many of them are still around (just like every other brand of the age).

Value depends on location and condition.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Here's the motherboard anyway:

You've got a cool system there - the 486 is pre-DX marked which makes it somewhat rare. It also places the production at circa 1990, IIRC. Having 16 SIMM slots is also somewhat uncommon and nice.

Get that heinous battery off of there immediately and clean it with some vinegar to neutralize followed by some isopropanol to flush out the vinegar.

Blog Entries

I have a Mylex (I think) 486 board with 16 memory slots like that.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems