Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Applied Engineering GS-RAM Plus expansion card and piggyback board

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Id like for someone to create a GS-OS application that would allow you to write any apple II or MAC disk image locally..
    Even the copy protected ones??? I guess you would like to store the image files on a HDD? But what when it comes to HDD images?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Everyone seems to want the 8MB cards, but I really don't see any point to getting more than 4MB unless you're going all-out with the accelerator, etc. I had the stock Apple 1MB card in my IIgs and that *was* painfully tight for doing anything more than booting GS/OS 6, but with the seemingly-trouble-free GGLabs 4MB card installed (which I got *very* cheaply on sale) it has more than 3MB free (verses only a couple hundred K) sitting at the GS/OS desktop and every piece of software I've tried (which, granted, isn't that much) runs fine. I'm curious exactly what people are running that really benefits from more.
    GS/OS 6 works well enough with 4MB. I just use the rest as a RAM disk. My main system is a ROM 3 IIgs, 8MB RAM card with 1 SIMM missing (7MB), Transwarp IIgs, Apple Rev C SCSI card, 4 floppy drives (2 of each).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

The "WHY?" is with all the new games and programs being made I am hoping I can actually eventually utilize my IIgs for more than just games and actual networked desktop usage [to some degree].
    I guess I haven't been keeping very close track, but I honestly haven't found much "new" software that wasn't hopeless without an accelerator. Frankly even vintage GS/OS software generally isn't great. Maybe other people are more patient.

(I do try to appreciate the GS for what it is, but point a gun at my head and tell me I have to run GUI productivity software on a mid-80's Apple computer for a week I'm going to grudgingly pick the Mac Plus. Probably would even if the GS had an accelerator honestly because, well, square pixels.)

Id like for someone to create a GS-OS application that would allow you to write any apple II or MAC disk image locally..
    There's Brutal Deluxe's MountIt for Apple II disk images already? If you want to do file exchanges with Macs I'd highly recommend an Appletalk network, works great.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

I have the AE ram card, but not the piggyback board. It came in my Woz box, which I really only bought for the monitor and disk drives. So I'm not actually using said card. I have the ByteBoosters 8mb card in my ROM3 box.

Main reason I wanted plenty of RAM is for network compilation via Orca/C, with editing and project management on a more capable box. Copy project to //gs from editing machine via appleshare, compile and test on //gs. I figured the ram disk ought to make things a little quicker for that.

But I never got around to setting it up.

Then I learned of GoldenGate.

Which I bought a copy of, but also haven't gotten 'round to setting up. :3

Still, I'd rather test on the real hardware rather than an emulator, and a nice ramdisk ought to make that a little more convenient too.

... Or maybe that's all just an excuse to see how far the //gs can be stuffed with expansions. :3
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try Muh Crappy YouTube Channel
    Looking to Buy/Trade For: Mac IIci hard drive bracket and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules-compatible card + monochrome monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs
    May Be Interested In Acquiring: 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    ... Or maybe that's all just an excuse to see how far the //gs can be stuffed with expansions. :3
    By all means, don't get me wrong: "Because it's there" is a fine excuse for any level of excess when it comes to stuffing expansions in our pet computers. Part of me wants to build an EMS card for my Tandy 1000 EX/HX despite the fact that I can't actually think of anything that will run "well" on it that can make use of another 2MB of RAM...

I have a GS-RAM Plus with 6MB, it came from a prominent member of the Apple II community who has since... umm.... publicly "parted ways" and liquidated all his inventory. The pin header is for use with the AE RAM Keeper which allows for two memory cards to be installed in the Apple IIgs. I've used the header to connect the card to my RamKeeper with the stock 1MB card in the normal slot and it works. Just note that the card needs a GAL swapped if used in a ROM 3 IIgs, otherwise it will not work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by njroadfan View Post
    I have a GS-RAM Plus with 6MB, it came from a prominent member of the Apple II community who has since... umm.... publicly "parted ways" and liquidated all his inventory. The pin header is for use with the AE RAM Keeper which allows for two memory cards to be installed in the Apple IIgs. I've used the header to connect the card to my RamKeeper with the stock 1MB card in the normal slot and it works. Just note that the card needs a GAL swapped if used in a ROM 3 IIgs, otherwise it will not work.
    Any more info on the GAL swap?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Any more info on the GAL swap?
    https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%...%20GAL20V8.jed

Sorry I am not in the know.. What is a .jed file?

Sorry I am not in the know.. What is a .jed file?
    It contains the formula you’d use to program a blank compatible GAL chip.