Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Applied Engineering GS-RAM Plus expansion card and piggyback board

Default Applied Engineering GS-RAM Plus expansion card and piggyback board

I recently bought a GS-RAM plus expansion card for my IIgs. I had the GG-Labs 8MB module; but due to compatibility issues I was looking for an alternative. I just got the GS-RAM plus card in and haven't played with it yet. From what I gather you can populate the card with up to 6MB of RAM with appropriate Chips. There are pin headers for a 2MB "piggyback" board[ http://www.a2heaven.com/webshop/inde...product_id=140 ] which im sure are dust in the wind at this point. However I was completely surprised to find out a2heaven is selling a brand new piggyback board with 8MB builtin and some other options like a RTC.

My board came with only 64KB on it so this may be a good thing if I buy the piggy back board.

Anyone own a GS-RAM plus or know about the 8mb piggyback module compatibility wise? Just curious, if it works out I will sell my GG-labs 8mb card.

Mick

the piggyback board is for ramworks cards, it will not work with gsram cards.

Well that is a disappointment, thanks for clearing the piggyback question up. So there are more than one memory addon boards labeled "piggyback", great.. I just found the first photo of one here:http://ae.applearchives.com/apple_ii...previous-photo

Im confused as it has a cardedge connector.. so how does it interface to the gs-ram plus?
    Last edited by VERAULT; February 19th, 2020 at 08:05 AM.

Blog Entries

I have a GS-RAM plus and I think you can only do 1MB per bank for up to 6MB on the card without piggy back. My card has 5MB of RAM (1 bank empty) and I have yet to get around to testing the RAM on it.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

6MB is still pretty damn good; more than I would ever use unless web browsing (and since thats near on impossible with HTML 5, its a moot point) But since it has the piggy back option it would be nice to use it!

Blog Entries

Well you need ab accelerator and either SCSI or equivalent to get the most out of the IIgs GS/OS with expanded RAM anyway (very expensive these days).

For people who don't care about GS/OS and just want to play games the 1MB upgrade is good enough.

I think you can play the majority of GS games with just the 512Kb upgrade. I do have SCSI So I can load things easily from cd-rom. I have given up all hopes for an accelerator card. I really don't know how these guys making new accelerator boards can charge as much as the originals but I wont pay it.

Blog Entries

I got mine a long time ago locally inside a IIgs for $20 (Transwarp IIgs). Quite a bit of the cool stuff these days is priced way too high for casual collectors.

I keep forgetting that the Apple 1MB RAM upgrade probably didn't come fully populated all the time. You can play pretty much any game on a IIgs ROM 3 with the 1.25MB built in.

Everyone seems to want the 8MB cards, but I really don't see any point to getting more than 4MB unless you're going all-out with the accelerator, etc. I had the stock Apple 1MB card in my IIgs and that *was* painfully tight for doing anything more than booting GS/OS 6, but with the seemingly-trouble-free GGLabs 4MB card installed (which I got *very* cheaply on sale) it has more than 3MB free (verses only a couple hundred K) sitting at the GS/OS desktop and every piece of software I've tried (which, granted, isn't that much) runs fine. I'm curious exactly what people are running that really benefits from more.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I'm curious exactly what people are running that really benefits from more.
    Is that geared towards me as the poster or "everyone" in general?

I can say this is for my personal IIgs.. I have a scsi card, I have an uthernet card. I USE a floppy emu and cffa3000 but I dont want them permanently tethered to my IIGs so I need to find another HDD solution.

The "WHY?" is with all the new games and programs being made I am hoping I can actually eventually utilize my IIgs for more than just games and actual networked desktop usage [to some degree].
    Id like for someone to create a GS-OS application that would allow you to write any apple II or MAC disk image locally..