Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple IIc - power connector

Default Apple IIc - power connector

Hi,

I want to breathe new life into an Apple IIc that spent many years in an attic.

I've encountered 2 issues so far:
    - The power connection has some weird white mold on it. Pictures in attachment.
    - Many keys are hard to press, they seem to be stuck halfway.

I'm also missing the Apple IIc power supply, but before I buy one I would like to know what this white mold is. Has anyone seen this before?

I've posted a video on youtube so you can hear the clicking noise of the keys. I've pulled off some keycaps to see what was underneath and found white switches. Of the three switches in the video only the right one seems to work fine. The other two are stuck. What can be done to fix them?

Video: https://youtu.be/uwNTkbZtvF0

Regarding the power supply, I've seen this auction on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/c-LAPTOP-ST...-/221294478704

So that's the one I would get if the power connector and keyboard issue are solvable.

Thanks!
    Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like just generic oxidation... The plastic is disintegrating.

It may have been accelerated by high or low temperatures in the attic.

I would just clean it up with small amount of bleach then rinse
    it good..
    And the PSU you listed is pretty good I got one from him no
    problems I also use it on my 2 laser clones..
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Try the bleach, Then when dry use a cotton swap with a drop of mineral oil to coat the plastic case of the power connector. leave it for a bit and then wipe the excess.

Blog Entries

Ditto on Professor Buggie's power supplies. I've done several transactions with him, including the power supplies. Always worked out great.
    Kaypro 1,2,II,2X,10 Apple IIe Apple IIgs Commodore 128d, 64 IBM 5160 Ampro littleboard

I have bought his IIc psus also. The only issue I find is he doesnt remove the non connected pins and I had one shift and short. So I open the din connector, remove the non-connected pin headers and fill the din connector with hot glue and slide the cover back on.. just for piece of mind.

Thank you for all the replies! I will order the power supply. Let's see if this IIc still boots.

Any ideas on the stuck keyboard keys?

Peter

Thank you for all the replies! I have ordered the power supply and I'll post on my progress when I receive it.

Any thoughts on the stuck keys?

As far the keys take the board apart give it a good cleaning..
    but if you want to just test before you want to go and restore
    it try blowing out the keys I like to use my compressor for this.
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Put the keyboard through the automatic dishwasher (DISABLE THE HEAT DRY option), leave it out to dry a couple days before trying it out. I have had pretty good success on the IIc keyboards doing this.

infact I just got a iic computer in that was stored in a leaky garage. The whole keyboard is crispy/crunchy.. I am going to wash it the dishwasher.