Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many Rolm Computers for sale.

Default Many Rolm Computers for sale.

I have quit a number of working Rolm Mil-Spec for sale. Anyone interested?
    T

Blog Entries

Some things that would help garner interest would be:

1. Where are they located? Would you be willing to ship them?
    2. What are their specs?
    3. Pictures, so people would know what they look like.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Cool, I am always looking to add to the collection. The only issue is that for some weird reason nowadays people think these things are worth a king’s ransom. You can see one of my Youtube videos of a working 1602 at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJdTduulvAQ

Definitely sounds interesting, do you have any pictures, specs, your location, etc?

I would definitely be interested. Price? Location?
    Current favorites: IBM 5160 (EGA+Hercules+PGC, 4 floppies, XT-IDE), Compaq Portable ii (replaced PSU and keyboard, EMS card), ASR 33 Teletype (now FULLY armed and operational!)
    Wishlist: IBM 5161 (expansion chassis), IBM 5175 (monitor for PGC), Data General Nova IO / peripheral cards, and the meaning of life.

Since the OP hasn't responded in-thread, the brief rundown of what I got from my conversation with them:

Seller "took over Rolm in 1998" so these are presumably old stock or repair units; they're located in Maryland. They were wanting on the order of $10/lb. + S/H for untested, as-is units. Claimed to have "1602, 1602/B, 1666/C, 7016 Hawk/32, 4200 Magnum Disk, 2100 I/O chassis." I didn't ask for pictures as that was more than I wanted to drop on a whim, so I have no idea what kind of cosmetic condition they're in.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Cool, but how do you get in contact with them? I bought some stuff from Potomac E Surplus before that was left over from government project but on the average not a lot out there.
    I have an operational 1602 that’s basically a military version of the Data General Nova and over period of years have been able to get it up and running but have also had to spend some money on stupid things like connectors that are costing me over $50.00 each and the like.
    At this time, I have the system racked up with a paper tape reader and have some of the diagnostic paper tapes along with the loaders but have been looking for a copy of Nova Basic for years without much luck. Being core memory, they do have the advantage that once you put something into memory it stays there. I toggled in the debugger some time ago that lets you use the terminal to deposit or examine memory and do simple operations but long-term goal is to get Basic installed to do more playing.
    Back in the seventies and early eighties saw lots of the Data General Nova systems used for reading and displaying transponder data on radar displays. The Rolm 1602 were used a lot in ECM systems being they would diligently and faster than any operator scans radar frequencies and deploy countermeasures to threats.

Picture of my Rolm 1602 system

rolm.jpg

Were any of the Rolm systems a Mil-Spec version of DG's Eclipse S-130?

Quote Originally Posted by Qbus View Post
    Cool, but how do you get in contact with them?
    I spoke to them via PM and they were pretty prompt to respond; not sure why they haven't posted in the thread since.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup