Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Imagedisk to 8" keeps using 500kbps for SD disks

Hi Al. I'm just trying to read a CPM directory that was written with imagedisk on the MDS225 which is running CPM 2.2.
    The MDS appears to be weird. I'm now finding that lots of old disks that I couldn't read on the MDS I thought were bad, will read on the xerox 820.
    So the MDS needs something specific in the gaps to work right and not all disks have that apparently.

Blog Entries

No, I don't think so. Are you certain you don't have the Series II MDS with the double-density mod?

In any case, IBM 3740 diskette format is pretty standard, so I don't think it's something in the gaps or DAMs or IDAMs.

Try creating a single-density 8" ISIS-II boot disk from the bitsavers IMD

Does it boot?

P.S. You're not trying to use double-sided floppies for this are you?

This is an MDS II with integral drive (SS SD using 8271 chip) along with the SSDD board set cabled to external drives.

I have a CPM that boots from the DD drive, that gives me access to the SD internal drive where I can read standard CPM disks.

The problem is, if I try to copy a CPM disk via imagedisk, it wont read on the MDS SD drive like the original will.
    So imagedisk is changing something and not exactly copying.

Only using single-sided floppies. Double-sided won't even produce an index pulse on a SS drive due to the hole location.

Blog Entries

I'll have a look at a low-level at an IMD-formatted 8" floppy and see if there's anything different from standard IBM 3740 in AM's and gaps. Since you're using IMD, have you tried using 22DIsk's formatter?